Oh for God's sake

No. Just no. Shout shout shout and nobody listening to anything anyone else says.

Who is this new scriptwriter Liz John, where did they find her and when does she leave?

2 Likes

New to radio. https://lizjohn.wordpress.com/radio/

Bit unprofessional to use a free website :open_mouth:

1 Like

Who could have guessed that Pip wouldn’t be able to get a word in edgeways? Clever, that, and highly original. This Liz John should go far.

strewth

1 Like

Apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, I really enjoyed the episode. The Ruth/Helen mutual mud-slinging didn’t go on long enough, but we can’t have everything.

2 Likes

I would have enjoyed each individual bit of it if they had been spread out over the week, instead of it all being one long row between every speaking character in the entire episode as far as I could make out.

What happened to pacing?

Gus, that was just occasion 27,676,238,978,348,276,869,238,482,374 in The Archers in which one person has something they need to tell another, says, “There is something I need to tell you,” and is then prevented from saying it, either by someone else butting in or by the person they need to tell ignoring them and talking about something else. Very, very stale. It was an old SW ploy back in about 1957.

2 Likes

That was rather the point I was hoping to make.

1 Like

I know it was all spoilt at the end with that soap cliché, but I am still relishing Susan telling Helen (who will be 38 in ten days time) that she was near-as-dammit 40 and, I dare say mentally shaving a decade off her own age, placing herself and Helen in the same age bracket. Well done, Susan!

What’s with all the Anniversary of Stab Night about? Do people really think in terms of ‘this time last year I was making the tuna bake, burning the custard, stabbing my husband’? And Usha of all people mentioning The Anniversary since she was strangely absent during the events after Stab Night.

1 Like

Sorry, Gus. I am feeling slightly ruffled; I was foolishly hoping things might look up in TA this year, but today was not a pleasure to listen to. It was full of people making other people feel bad and being nasty, and I don’t find that particularly entertaining.

2 Likes

Some of them do, I think. Well, I do, anyway. Even if I don’t particularly want to.

It was good work on the part of Susan. My loathing of Susan is so extreme that I wouldn’t have given her credit for it, so thank you for making the point.

3 Likes

Ruffling is bad for scales. Have some soothing pondweed poultice, you poor Fish.

I have to say that as almost everyone tonight that was being made to feel bad is someone I loathe, I didn’t mind one bit. Please can someone take a cricket bat to the lithping tholicthitor’th thkull? With thanks in advance sort of thing,
Guth.
Thit, it’th catching.

4 Likes

I think one can always rely on Susan to be gratuitously unpleasant and stick her nose into other people’s business, can’t one? Also to speak of rope in the house of the hanged, and to be unremittingly able to take the wrong end of every stick and twist it.

1 Like

But Gus, you loathe them all; anyone in TA being got at ought to please you!

(Thanks for the poultice; I’ll see if I can find my dignity and put it on that.)

Lots of rowing but plenty of added schadenfreude: Helen being ignored in the shop then told she’s over the hill just like Susan, Pip having coals of fire poured over her very comprehensively by Ed, Ruth being told off, fairly or not, then going away feeling for once that she is in the wrong. And Pip rubbing it in by telling how upset Clarrie was. Lots to like, in my opinion.

Wait till the news gets out that Ruth made Clarrie cry. I don’t suppose Eddie will shut up about that.

Oh, and the sheer arrogance of Ruth thinking she could make things all right at Bridge Farm by using her ‘reasonable’ voice at Tony. Well done, Helen for putting her straight on that.

3 Likes

Tis true 'tis pity, And pity 'tis, 'tis true.

I thought for a moment that I might not loathe Oliver, but I’ve found a reason
 There is a hierarchy of it, though. Just not a very rigid one. Whichever one I’ve heard most recently tends to rise to the top.

2 Likes

Yes, but did it all have to be in one episode, JJ? I am tired of the feast-and-famine aspect of the thing; it gives me spiritual indigestion.

2 Likes

Yes, I do see, it was rather a bumper crop, but there were some little gems that were not about rowing. How about Susan lecturing Helen on not giving so many sweets to Keira? I did enjoy Little Miss Sanctimonious getting told off about that! And then not getting the sweets! Or did she not get her change, I don’t care. It was thoroughly frustrating for Helen, that’s the point, and she wasn’t treated like Dresden china (is that specially breakable, I wonder). Then to bump into Ruth, last thing she wanted even before Mrs Busybody wanted to stick her nose into Bridge Farm.

Icing on the cake for me would have been if Harrison had blurted out in Helen’s presence that the cricket team hadn’t been the same since their best player became incapacitated this time last year.

2 Likes

What a joyous thought. Didn’t happen, but joyous nonetheless. Have a ribbon.

3 Likes

She could start with Brazil?

3 Likes