Peculiar writing

Do not for a moment imagine I am complaining, because hearing Modom & Begorrah is seldom a pleasure. However, given the extent of the baby-mania Ian has been written as having, why choose to have the delivery of the joyful news that a womb can be theirs in exchange for a large chunk of all their worldy goods happen off-air. Seemed a very strange decision to me.

7 Likes

Yep.

I missed something I’d have hated to hear, yet feel cheated.

Odd things, humans.

5 Likes

I am unimpressed by the quality of last week’s scripts as a whole, especially the idea that Elizabeth (who lives there) apparently didn’t notice an ambulance arriving at Lower Loxley Hall, or else didn’t think that the information that her grand-daughter had been taken to hospital with her mother in attendance would be of any interest to Jennifer and so didn’t bother to mention it to her – which we had to assume, from Jennifer not knowing about it, Elizabeth had neglected to do.

4 Likes

That is also true. Unless for once in her life, Elizabeth was exercising tact and consideration, of course. The brat’s mother was aware of the situation and could reasonably be expected to want to handle publicity on the matter; and (presumably) Elizabeth was would have been aware of the excrement/airconditioning interface at Home Farm.

Nah, you’re right. Last week’s SWing was pretty crap, really.

4 Likes

Simple. The scriptie wasn’t competent to write a sufficiently convincing scene, so it had to be reported.

Or … they’ve only got 12.5 minutes per episode so how can we expect to hear everything?

5 Likes

And the bad news is that the same crap writer wrote this coming week’s scripts as well.

This would explain Jim suddenly turning on and blackmailing one of his first-friends in the village. She didn’t know that they are old allies.

3 Likes

Not much point bragging about the shiny new computerised archive if they don’t bother to consult it.

Hang on - scrap that; it’s not new at all. It’s been computerised for over twenty years - “since the the early 1990s” according to Keri Davies1, so there’s absolutely no excuse. Such cavalier disregard for continuity can only be interpreted as contempt for long term listeners.

1http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thearchers/entries/e2c47789-8fc1-3a00-aa47-9c3bbea55228

3 Likes

I think I’ve said before that my feeling is that TA is a unique opportunity to do something that isn’t a standard problem-of-the-month drama series, to develop plots over the long term. So it seems a shame when they make it just a programme like all the other stuff that’s already out there.

4 Likes

I don’t call 2007 “early nineties” – or is there some way of getting to earlier synopses which I have failed to work out?

"As you’d expect, the archive is computerised, and has been since the the early 1990s. It contains a vast array of information, including every episode synopsis since then - the same ones as you can read on our programme pages. "

3 Likes

Two ‘I’ve been around [whatevers] all my life’ in the space of as many minutes. Does anyone actually read this stuff over before they start recording it? There were probably other infelicities but I found much of tonight’s episode - particularly at the ‘party’ - remarkably difficult to hear. OK, I was cooking at the time, but the combination of lowered voices and a sound balance that seemed seriously out of whack made it more difficult than usual.

Perhaps I am just getting old and deaf. Whatever. I cannot summon up the fortitude to LA.

4 Likes

And another person loses their temper in an uncharacteristic way…

3 Likes

And you’re complaining??

3 Likes

I take your point.
But I do think they ought to make the dialogue audible to enable full and fair complaint, where merited (was it just me, or was Lilian virtually incomprehensible* at times?)

*point also taken.

4 Likes