Pip-speak

Nervous though I am about setting Armers off on one, did anyone else notice this evening that she said either that she did or didn’t ‘gnawwww’, as opposed to ‘know’? Shades of Ruth - possibly emulating is it O’Hanrahan, who does a very good job of sounding like a daughter of Susan, but more likely given the Badger’s track record, a purely random mutation.

5 Likes

I always saw Ruth as more of a daughter of Satan, myself. :fearful:

3 Likes

Always happy to weigh in on a Pip-speak thread! Is it when she said ‘I don’t knoooow what to do’? It sound more like noo to rhyme with coo rather than ‘gnaw’.

But here for your amusement is a bumper crop of exampoos of the wandering accent, a cornucopia of dropped final Ts and glottal stops interwoven with over-emphasied Ts, Ls changed to Ws followed by Ls pronounced as Ls.

Sorry to hear tha’
Is he having trea’menT?
The veT
On himse-oof?
You look smarT
Have you go’ a momenT
How’s that goin’?
tighTen our bewoots for a biT
Wha’ I’ve go’ to say
for a biT
It was my fauLT
I didn’t handLe it weLL
puT it righT

6 Likes

Maybe I imagined the Ruthiness of it. It is worrying to feel one might be imagining that class of a thing.

Very selfless of you to make a comprehensive list like that. I hope you were listening with pad and pen and that you din’t have to subject yourself to it twice, dear girl.

5 Likes

It has a fascination for me, Gus. I think Daisy Badger’s way of speaking is truly, truly annoying and I often compare notes with Tuf Tanya on it. So my pleasure!

P.S. I think the jewel in the crown for mixage was ‘tighTen our bewoots for a biT’.

4 Likes

It’s still a and b the c of d, Janie.

4 Likes

Clang! Penny dropping, had to stare at that for ages to get above and …

3 Likes

Still baffled here.
Baffled,
Bafflement Crenellations
Baffleshire
BF1 0FH

4 Likes

Above and beyond the call of duty, dearie!

Sounded very Wodehousian, a and b the c of d. Was it a direct quote or in the style of, Fanta?

4 Likes

As far as I know it was original when I was about eight. I had heard the phrase and then shortened it because I noticed it was alphabetical. And as you can tell, I am still fond of it!

3 Likes

Oh MTGB!

WHich is Multifarious Thundering Great Bums, which is mine, and not normally deployed in this context. I was trying to juggle your list a), b) & so on and going slightly potty.

pottier.

Oh all right. But you’d better ring for the booby-wagon, then.

5 Likes

It’s been privatised, Gus. We’ll have someone from Nutters Я Us round next November. You can hold your breath till then, right?

5 Likes

THis isn’t about enunciation but there seemed little point in opening a new thread.
I think the reason Toby couldn’t perform tonight was that he noticed that Pip’s balls have now fully descended and it put him off his stroke.

No, I don’t like high ickle-girly voices and have whined publicly about it and been told off for it many times. But La Badger’s basso profundo is really something else. A lot of deep female voices are alluring. And then some are not.

1 Like

I find her voice strange, but not actually that strange. It more the way she says the words than the key she says them in.

Didn’t the key tonight strike you as intermittently low beyond all need and reason? I think it’s when she tries to be earnest/emphatic that it drops into her boots.

1 Like

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/apr/27/judi-dench-berates-lazy-young-actors-who-ignore-their-artistic-heritage

The lady has a point.

3 Likes

She’s no lady - she nicked my mate Kate’s boyfriend.

Joking aside, she most certainly does have a point. More than one (from the source you link to above): “I think it is very patronising to change Shakespeare because you think people might not understand it,” she said. It was an actor’s business to make it understandable.

2 Likes

Wasn’t that at least partly the responsibility of the boyfriend?

She does seem to be talking sense, objecting to dumbing down. When I read Shakespeare plays as a child they were opaque, but my father took me to see Twelfth Night (the university happened that year to have a pair of almost-identical twins at it who were both interested in amateur dramatics) and it was well-done, and even a ten-year-old could easily work out what was going on. And yet the words were the same ones I had totally failed to grasp when I was reading it beforehand to try to find out what it was about.

(The previous performance he took me to was The Marriage of Figaro at Covent Garden as a terrific treat for my birthday, and I had not understood it at all, so I was playing safe. Or so I thought.)

2 Likes

I dunno, wasn’t there at the time. Wasn’t in fact born at the time. They wuz skoolgirls together, see. And Judy definitely half-inched him is what I heard :open_mouth:

I still don’t get TMoF, so you were possibly precocious - who would have thunk it?

I don’t think you can read and enjoy Shakespeare.

Watching it, on the other hand, performed by a good actors company - amateur or professional - and it just comes to life.

1 Like