Pip's pregnancy - how will it end?

OK, so given this is a soap and soaps need disasters to wring the withers etc, how will Pip’s pregnancy end?

My suggestion: quad bike accident, Pip de-babied.

6 Likes

Fine idea, Dracs! Can I put in a vote for taking out Ruth as well? Perhaps employ a heavier vehicle - or vehicles - to wreak more destruction. Obviously Ruth is high on my list to be included. Perhaps we could take out Jill as well.

But back to your original suggestion: if it were not for the two other recent miscarriages, I’d say they’d go that route but as it is, I’m not sure. You know, I think they plan on having her marry Toby after all. Big wedding and everything. Especially given the scene with Helen, where she told Pip how easy being a single mother was going to be. Is that a hint that Pip will not be single? And of course the touching scene with David about not having a wedding …

5 Likes

I fear that you are right, but am I allowed to hope for all that and a genuinely disabled baby too? Unlike Vicky, Pip couldn’t simply be written out of the programme if her child were inconvenient, and I feel that it would be good for her, for Toby, and incidentally for Helen who could be told at some point what Pip thought about Helen’s facile “advice” on the subject of motherhood.

4 Likes

Fanta, my heart sinks rather at the thought of the sentimentality that would surround such a storyline. I’d rather hear squabbles about tripping over toys and Ruth getting tetchy at Pip’s and Toby’s everlasting requests for babysitting. Ooh, here’s an idea, Ruth shouts, ‘Yer not yer fragile cousin Helen, pet nor am I a soddin’ doormat like Pat and Tony, so take care of yer own bairn!’

6 Likes

I’d settle for a late TOP when the anomaly scan reveals something catastrophically adrift (I would say ‘e.g., anencephaly’, but that would scarcely be a barrier to normal life at Brookfield), for which she is heartily reviled and shunned by the village and, overwhelmed by guilt and ‘hormones’, chucks herself into the Am, whichever way it happens to be flowing at the time, with a brick or two tied round her yodelling neck.

6 Likes

And I still want to hear Jill’s private fury and angst at yet another Fairbrother interfering with the Archers’ lives. Surely it must come?

Other possibility that both Pip AND Daddy Fairbrother are wiped out in car crash.

7 Likes

Sadly they brushed through that with a short sentence or two between Peggy and Jill. She is a miracle, that Peggy. Remember how she sorted Henwy’s pwobwems out with a little pep talk in no time at all as well!

Now yer talking!

5 Likes

Head-on collision with Lily Pargetter would be favourite - two frogs with one stick. See no crying need for Toby to be wiped out (sorry, Fanta).

5 Likes

Toby’s not top of my list, either. Let’s see: how many vehicles are we up to now?

Lily is driving too fast, shall we have her on her own or with Noluthando? Nolly has spike dLily’s muesli with the mushrooms, perhaps. Then along comes Pip on a quad bike … um, how do we get Ruth into the equation?

4 Likes

Oh, Toby can live (though I would quite like him to lose a leg, or better still suffer severe facila burns which spoiled his looks and made him a complete – what’s the opposite of "babe-magnet?) but if he had been driving during an accident in which Pip were killed I someone how don’t see the lease at Hollowtree being renewed, do you?

3 Likes

I’ve been on Toby’s side since Pip started messing around with his emotions. Up to then he was a prize pillock. Well, still is, but one for whom I can find a smidge of pity.

How about a heavily pregnant Pip is killed but the baby survives, so Toby is the tragic single father? Or widowed single father if they were married. I still think we need to get rid of Ruth but why would she be with Lily in her car or on the quad bike with Pip? And is it pushing the bounds of probability to involve a third vehicle?

5 Likes

Ruth - easily done - loses control of her own car dashing madly to the hospital.
David puts feet up, pours himself large drink and reflects - in a startling display of cerebration for him - that every cloud does indeed have a silver lining.

As for Toby - I too feel more that a little sympathy for him. He is a far less repellent individual, imo, than Pip, and I would not like him maimed or greatly inconvenienced by any of these scenarios. Actually, yes, inconvenienced by great grief re Pip, thus making others, including Jill, eat a certain amount of humble pie. I would enjoy that. That Fish would not. Splendid. We can have a Grate Big Board Spat ;-0

4 Likes

Yes, Toby has only gone from philanderer only interested in casual sex to a man in love.

Pip has gone from what I suspected was a pretence of only wanting a casual affair, to inviting him to move in to spite Jill, to getting rather more serious and talking about a future together, to - just as he had got more serious - breaking off the relationship, to wanting to be friends, to apparently accepting Toby did not want to be friends, to inviting him to have sex with her again but back on the old casual sex basis, to telling him she was about to abort their foetus, to changing her mind and telling he’d was going to be a daddy after all.

What a lovely, thoughtful person she is.

3 Likes

How about:

Toby, brining Pip home from a check-up in Borchester, is crashed into by Lily driving too fast on her way to the village from Home Farm, and without due care and attention; she hits the passenger side of the vehicle and kills Pip, though Toby is left alive. The impact throws both cars off the road and into the wall opposite the Stables, where they fatally impact on Ruth walking home from the Village Shop, who is crushed between the driver’s side of Toby’s car and the wall so that until they are all cut free he has to look at her dying and then dead face.

(I used to read Gothic fiction. But I can’t easily fit a statue weeping tears of blood into it anywhere.)

5 Likes

Haven’t yet stopped laughing at the typo - ‘brining Pip’ - that is Gusworthy! Please don’t correct it - starts a whole new line of thought.

Toby, having murdered Pip, is brining her in the distillery as a way of concealing the corpse then …

4 Likes

Hmm. Is it my poor typing or my spiteful imagination to which you refer, Janie dere?

4 Likes

Is it safe to answer?

4 Likes

That is a bit of a stretch. But any remaining Grundy gnomes might defecate a little out of respect, don’t you think?

3 Likes

I think it was my typo, Gus dere.

3 Likes

And yes, I’m sure one of them might. Haemorrhoids.

3 Likes