Profile pictures

I’ll bear that in mind Fanta thanks.

Gus - don’t you think I have enough on with one gorilla?! :flushed:

2 Likes

You can never have too many gorillas. :relaxed:

Hello to Jade.

3 Likes

I think you are going to have to be the new tutor in Gravatar-use, Useders, on account of clearly having done it recently. Congratulations. Nice bird, too.

3 Likes

Thought I’d better bring a bird.

Issa Kite. A Red Kite.

(Dunnock, please note. It’s not a Sparrowhawk.)

2 Likes

Yes, I thought it was. We have red kites here, sometimes in gangs of as many as twelve just stooging about over the house waiting for something to die. In fact it is a bad day on which we don’t see one as we go off on any Expedition. (Well, we don’t go out to have a nice walk somewhere when the weather is vile and the kites aren’t out, so it’s a bit self-fulfilling, that one.) One of the real pleasures of living here is lying in bed in the morning watching the red kites going about their business over the valley outside.

We have even seen one sitting in a tree near enough to be visible, at least five times during the five years and more we have been here, though we didn’t during the first two years and had started to wonder whether they were like martlets and didn’t actually have any feet.

5 Likes

Lovely birds and very common around here. They make flying look astonishingly easy, as do most hawks.

I’ve seen kites high up around here today. There are a lot of people about as it’s such a lovely day. When it’s quieter, they come down quite low to patrol over the lanes and verges looking to pick up the next meal. A pleasure just to watch them.

5 Likes

I’m so glad that Getty decided to re-introduce the Red Kite in England in the sixties. They add something to my enjoyment.

2 Likes

They’ve never actually died out around here, rural mid Wales.
They’ve spread out from here, either naturally or by the intervention of man. to other countries, including a growing population re-introduced in recent years, in the east of Ireland.

After the very many years of persecution, the sight of kites or any hawks on the wing makes Britain a better place. Only right to share them.

5 Likes

I think they were voted Wales’ favourite bird recently.

4 Likes

That’s right. Following on from Catherine Zeta Jones. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not a great fan of Kites. They’re at epidemic levels round here since reintroduction approx 20 years ago when there was one pair in nearby woods. Now at least 4 over most fields. Despite being described by RSPB as shy and carrion, they are keen enough to peck out the eyes of live but ailing sheep or lambs, and dive bomb game bird release pens.
Isn’t Nature wonderful?

2 Likes