Radio Times Ambridge Diary May 3-6

Is Martha’s christening destined to be remembered for all the wrong reasons? For starters, we have mum Alice’s alcoholism, which has created no end of tension with husband Chris. Then there’s the not-so-veiled tension between the two grannies, with Susan’s catering efforts not exactly passing muster with the martinet that is Jennifer. By the time the big day dawns, Fallon - who is officially supposed to be in charge of the nibbles - is struggling to keep quiet. All in all, plenty of potential pitfalls …
In other news, Lee’s second thoughts inspire panic at Lower Loxley, and Alan offers support to a troubled soul - will his advice lead to salvation?

Thanks to PinaGrigio of ‘Peet’s Mustardland’

4 Likes

I still reckon a part-Horrobin/consecrated ground interaction is the way to go.

Do either of the parents actually attend church on any sort of frequent basis?

4 Likes

Chris rings bells I think

And surely Christening is to welcome a new person into the Church family regardless of the parents’ belief?

That’s how the simple plain Methodist churches work

3 Likes

Yeah, but why would the parents bother if they don’t attend themselves? Eh, I don’t really care…

3 Likes

The parents are still expected to have Christian beliefs, Twellsy, & may be invited for instruction, if they are deemed not up to speed. At least 1 of the Godparents must be a Christian.

Promises have to be made on the. child’s behalf, & many still see this as important.

For those who hold no religious beliefs, there are, at least more options available these days with regard to naming ceremonies, & the like.

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

What does Lee have to do with Lower Loxley? I know I haven’t been concentrating much lately but still.

4 Likes

Yes, I was wondering the same. Could it be a mistake? I do hope it’s panic at Bridge Farm. “OMG, we have to keep Helen-and-the-boys?” But no Pat or Tony in the cast list, so not probable.

4 Likes

Well we know now don’t we? Not Bridge Farm, Lee has second thoughts about getting his kit off and being leered at by Joy. Give me strength!

5 Likes

Vince will drop 'em to impress his lady-love.

With his public-spiritedness, I mean. I am quite sure that nothing in Casey’s grots is news to Widderbeth by now.

5 Likes

Snork & Shudder…

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Gus I was trying to sleep

I will have nightmares now

4 Likes

But, but, why is it that the SWs have this obsession with late middle-aged (or older) women lusting after much younger men, and even wanting to see them in a state of undress? Is this a thing IRL? I’m not totally immune to manly charms but I can honestly say I have never lusted after a man decades younger, and if I do find a man attractive I don’t immediately (or ever, really) find myself desperate to get a glimpse of him with his kit off.

Perhaps other women do, or perhaps the SWs themselves lust after much older women and this is a fantasy of their dreams coming true. Don’t know which.

3 Likes

Male strippers are A Thing, so there presumably is a market for it; but my take on it is fairly closely aligned with yours.

4 Likes

I suppose you must be right, but I’m heartily sick of it as a recurring theme on TA. I think they think it’s comedy, not in my view it ain’t.

4 Likes

Me 3, but ‘attractive’/‘attraction’ is such a personal thing, innit?

Clad, however lightly , but clad in the right thing(s) is much more more my thing, although Omar Sharif could quicken my pulse without ever realising it… :wink:

I am really not happy about the stereotyping either way. I was 25 years younger than Mr C, & we had an Helluvvanlotof Shite, especially at the beginning.

Howsumevva

We Pissed on the Naysayer’s Chips in that we were married for 30 years & 10 days.

I have never in my life lusted after anyone, apart from M Sharif

Possibly

Mumble

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Darling, I’ve met you and know that OS was not a much younger man, ever, and he is thus irrelevant, albeit hot (one might even overlook the Bridge, at a pinch).

4 Likes

If it were a man doing it it would be unacceptable (unless it were a Sleb or a politician, of course). Because it is a woman doing it it is Wrong, and therefore Funny.

(That very large chunk of humour which basically consists of “look at the silly man/woman” leaves me cold. Too much empathy I guess.)

4 Likes

I think in the context of the TA instances of older women going Phwoarr at males young enough to be their sons (one even morphed into a son-in-law), the problem I have with it is that TBTB seem not to acknowledge the Wrong aspect but strive for the (non-existent) Funny.
Whereas were Justin, say, to be wanting to secure a front-row seat to view e.g. Lily in the nip, that wouldn’t - could not, I think - be portrayed as anything but sordid and distasteful. It’s not about relationship age gaps; it’s not about relationships at all. It’s about objectification and leching, which are apparently fine, in Ambridge, if it’s women doing it.

4 Likes

Yes

Have just woken up again & it’s either the ‘dirty old’ or stupid young’ which grates

Sigh

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

I don’t mean “wrong” as in “this is a bad thing”, but “wrong” as in “this is not the way that we, the smart people, understand that things really happen”. Women (over 30 and therefore not legitimate sexual targets) chasing men? Har har har doesn’t she know she should be warehoused until she has the grace to die, not pretend that she still has sexual feelings?

4 Likes