Recipes

We both enjoy the following butterbean recipe, joe:

Soo xx
5 Likes

What to do with a black radish. Use more garlic if you want, but not raw garlic. Quite wrong here. And waxy main crop spuds are ok, but don’t for the love of Mike use floury ones.

This is astonishingly good.

6 Likes

Gosh, that looks great, Gus. Thank you! Although, I have never encountered a black radish - not even in Paris.
Soo xx

5 Likes

When a large one found its way into our weekly veg box, I had to find something to do with it. Thereafter they were welcome seasonal visitors.

6 Likes

And here we are again. Not that I have a recipe to share, but I thought getting this back up to the top after over a year might be a good plan.

5 Likes

Thank you, o Fish.
And thank you ,Twellsy, for reminding us.

6 Likes

Well ye all do lovely stuff and I want receipts so it was self interest

After all a list if ingredients and the method is a bit of a cellar thread killer

5 Likes

It was a Good Thought, Twellies.

5 Likes

It was a Good Thought. I hope I didn’t pour cold water on it, Twellsy. Meep.
Soo xx

5 Likes

Of course you didn’t, Soo

Recipes and the means of cooking* the food produced is a separate sort of thing

*I’m a gas girl, azzitwere, & have to make different decisions/calculations from those using 'lectric

Every Bluddy oven runs differently too, & timings may have to be adjusted

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

Recipes are a guideline

My range is sort of accurate in temperatures but it has hot spots and the top is a grill so cake baking is its own entertainment unless you know the beastie

The bottom oven is meant to be a warming oven and I can use it to bake in when the top oven is at a high heat

Then the hob is a mass of hotter spots

5 Likes

Exactly, Twellsy. You have to know your own beast!

As for recipes being a guideline, that’s fine, if you have some skill, & interest, & are prepared to be flexible. Not so critical with many dishes, but baking requires a bit more accuracy.

What is your range fuelled with? The one at the Gasthaus was fed with wood, of which there was an endless supply.

There was an electric oven too, but that was only used for keeping things warm! Everyone preferred the taste of the food from the range.

5 Likes

My range is powered with oil as it is the central heating and hot water beastie

I like the control gas gives so at this time of year I have a wee camping stove to prevent overheated cook on days when the bbq is not an option

5 Likes

Any interesting salad recipes would be gratefully received.

5 Likes

There is always the tomato-and-onion one: chopped spring onion, chopped tomatoes, mix with a tiny bit of brown sugar and some lemon juice to taste?

5 Likes

Mmm, that’s a good one. Although for that I tend to use red onions

5 Likes

Good idea, Gus

Dressings too

Yesterday I had Cruditees - a mixed bag of carrots, broccoli florets & cauliflower, to which I added sweetcorn annan sliced red pepper. Sprinkled with celery salt with Mayonnaise to dip, it was lovely.

Howsumevva, I don’t always have a huge selection of fresh stuff, so need to think of frozen or tinned additions.

Martyr & red onion with oil & Balsamic vinegar is a staple in this house, but I do like to use lightly pickled garlic or ginger with lots of plain stuff too.
I have no supply of fresh herbs, so they have to be bought.

Carinthia. xx

4 Likes

This is a favourite, Gus. Sainsbury’s feta rocks.

Soo xx

6 Likes

There is a suggestion that blue cheese could be used instead of feta too.

Not for me, obviously, but blue cheese & walnuts go very well together.

Carinthia. xx

5 Likes

I very much like the sound of that, Soo. Thank you.
Gxx

Tonight’s is a layered salad on Little Gem, with celery, grated carrot, cucumber, Granny Smith, red pepper, radish, tomato, grapes, finely diced gruyère, spring onion and chopped peanuts + bought Caesar dressing. Haven’t made one of these since Himself died: a favourite of his. The offsprog, who had surprisingly conservative tastes in some ways, found the inclusion of nuts, grapes and apple highly offensive.
The combination isn’t set in stone, but fruit, cheese of some kind, and nuts are essential. I like the Austrian smoked processed cheese for this, but lots of others work.

4 Likes