Revocation of alcohol licence

This has got to be bollocks?

For a start, Freddie has not been convicted; and even if he had, he does not hold the licence. No licensee is expected to prevent crimes from being committed on his or her premises, as far as I know. And I do not believe that an alleged crime committed on Friday evening would get the licensing authority taking action about it on the first working day after it was alleged to have taken place.

4 Likes

Nasty moment there, Fishy: thought this was an announcement re the Cellar.
Phew.

It is, as you so rightly conjecture, bollocks.
Balzac

4 Likes

Depends on the sort of crime. Licenses are pulled all the time when pubs get well known as places to buy drugs, even if it’s not the landlord dealing.

4 Likes

You get a licence and are expected to run a controlled premises. If you fail your licence can be revoked.

So all that is correct. Potentially.

That it would gome to that within 24hrs, for one (alleged) offence of … to be fair … a quite low nature is ridiculous. But it fits perfectly with the SW’s desire to rush things and not investigate properly.

5 Likes

Oh Armers, how can you say it is of a low nature? Have you not noticed that Freddie’s crime damns him forever and is the worst bad behaviour since Cain and Abel? The place is full of people being holier-than-thou because they have never broken the law themselves, never ever, and long to see someone who has committed the unforgivable crime of being born into a family which is not totally impecunious be put into prison.

(Because it will do so much good imprisoning Freddie. Right.)

There were people like them crowding round under the guillotine gloating about the beheadings.

3 Likes

I must say the thought of Lizzie staggering out of The Orangery with bottles under her arm gave me a bit of a laugh. Apart from special events like the Beer Festival which I assume is over now and weddings, where else is alcohol served at Lower Loxley? So do the police imagine that major drug-dealing is going on in the sedate Orangery? Somehow the demographic doesn’t seem quite to fit.

4 Likes

I was surprised that the Orangery, which I thought of as a caff attached to a stately home open to the public, served booze anyhow. I have regarded it as like a private enterprise National Trust caff.

3 Likes

I can imagine some genteel sipping of Prosecco going on along side afternoon tea. And I suppose they want to flog the Lower Loxley wine. I dare say most customers would not notice they had lost their license, but they will have to reprint the menus unless the drinks were on a separate menu.

If they don’t get it back, it’s going to be awkward to explain to the wedding clients.

4 Likes

Isn’t it just.

My hope is that Robin, unaware of this set-back, will try a hard sell to Elizabeth and be really comprehensively put down.

3 Likes

In the Topper sense, ideally

2 Likes

Of course, this is the second time LoLo has been busted. In both cases, the perpetrator was related in some way to the licensee, so one might argue that they have form.

You wouldn’t get very far, in the real world, but you could argue it…

3 Likes

Wayne Tucson really is not related to anyone at Lower Loxley! The divorced husband of someone who subsequently married a member of one’s family is not one’s relation even if it was Henry VII’s claim to the throne! (Well, and descent from King Arthur, who left only one son, Mordred…)

2 Likes

People have been convicted on flimsier evidence…

2 Likes

Lower Loxley is clearly the Drug Capital of Borsetshire. Lewis has been very quiet lately. Maybe he’s Mr Big.

3 Likes

I would normally be a bit priggish and not very liberal minded about such matters if I’m being completely honest. Jumped up gits getting a comeuppance certainly appeals.

But people’s whole lives being ruined, send to jail for, essentially, being stupid, immature, naive and up themselves seems a bit harsh. Even to me.

… and at tire at Cath & Polecat ganging up in loud agreement. So I couldn’t bring myself to go agreeing with them.

Add that to lunatic speed of the licence being suspended and for very little & it seems like it was written by bears of very little brain.

3 Likes