Sarah McDonald Hughes

Don’t recall seeing the name before - another new writer? Can’t say I’m particularly impressed.

3 Likes

Acted in a short film in 2008, and wrote 9 episodes of Doctors, 2017-2019. (Which is so voracious for writers that it’s probably pretty decent training for putting the stuff out to a tight schedule.)

May have had a small role in Hollyoaks in 2014.

More credits:

One of those plays, How to Be a Kid, is commercially available (i.e. on Amazon).

She also played in a radio adaptation of The Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 2008

And of course she’s a Twit, though it’s all other people’s stuff repeated:
https://twitter.com/SMcDonaldHughes

4 Likes

Let’s be fair; it wasn’t actually awful, though the “Mia is trying to say something, and is constantly interrupted” thing was trying to say the least. They had all afternoon to chat in, could she really not say anything except when someone else was able to butt in?

5 Likes

It was more than shite enuff, imo.
The dreary, lazy ‘important conversation stifled by interruption’ device again. And again. In the same episode.

3 Likes

That was what got me—a new writer really ought to be able to bring something fresh to the table. And the sexism of expecting every woman in Cambridge to drop whatever they were doing to cater for the cricket team was several decades out.

As for “they cupcakes”… (Though that seems to an affectation of the actor–but if so, why doesn’t the director pick her up on it?)

3 Likes

Just thought, I wonder what Mia wanted to ask Clarrie?

“Clarrie—why is Great-Grandad Joe lying face down in the pond?”

4 Likes

“Oh, it’s just his little way. And you were with me all afternoon, right?”

4 Likes

Yeah, I felt the whole thing was a touch obvious - women and children making the “tea”, the men playing cricket and going to the pub… Why wasn’t Alice there drinking them all under the table?! And serving up sandwiches in the pub would be a nice little earner for Kenton, I’m sure he can make a ham or cheese and pickle buttie!

5 Likes

…trying for what exactly? A bit like writing best cursive copperplate with a sledge-hammer & cold-chisel?

3 Likes

I was using the word adjectivally, not as a verb, though it certainly tried my patience.

1 Like