Scientists in Bergen

have apparently established something that I have long suspected; that aerosol and cleaning sprays are bad for your lungs, and that you will be better off not using them.

" The take home message of this study is that in the long run cleaning chemicals very likely cause rather substantial damage to your lungs. These chemicals are usually unnecessary, microfibre cloths and water are more than enough for most purposes."

I do love a good reason not to polish furniture. Though I suppose I could use beeswax on a cloth.

5 Likes

The cleaning chemical, or the spray?

4 Likes

It doesn’t seem to be clear which they think is the main problem, though I expect you can tease it out. But I think it is suggesting that the aerosol nature of cleaners means that they are in the air breathed by the cleaner – as opposed to their smell being present, I suppose.

is being reported in umpty-wibble ways by various media outlets, but the overall message seems to be “give up the cleaning, women, it’s bad for your lungs”.

ps: as far as I can make out the Daily Mail has not yet had the headline “Cleaning Gives You Cancer”…

3 Likes

It’ll be in the same week as “Cleaning Prevents Cancer”

3 Likes

I try to use as little ‘product’ as possible & have, for years used pump spray bottles, when necessary . Furniture polish from a tin, or jar gives much better results

So I’m told… :wink:

I have avoided aerosols for years, certainly even before the CFC problem became widely known. I can remember that they irritated my skin/eyes

Roll-on deodorant/anti-perspirant here, & less sneezing as a result

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

Any excuse…

3 Likes