So what went wrong?

1973:

2019:

3 Likes

I found it hard to get to the end of that clip. Is it just me, or does she miss the note really quite often? And this to a song which has been done so well, so often, by so many real stars?

4 Likes

I couldn’t believe my ears when it started, gave up trying to understand precisely what the SWs were trying to achieve, and praised God for the fact that my wireless was fitted with an “off” switch!

4 Likes

If she didn’t sing any notes, I certainly wouldn’t miss them…

3 Likes

As if that weren’t enough…

Note that it’s Take 2, so presumably there’s at least one more take that was even worse

3 Likes

I share your bemusement

That’s the infuriating thing about it. If tbtb had decided Jolene was going to do some singing and it would be a surprise success yet the actor’s performance was a bit crap, well, that is something an audience might go along with out of habit / for old sake’s sake and tbtb put up with the pisspoor performance Because Continuity (ha!) or Authenticity.
But the lackwit vermin actially believe their cardi-dribbling devotees will applaud them for this shite. Give me strength.

No, cancel that: the key to the armoury will do nicely.

4 Likes

It does seem a bit, well, odd.

Presumably the thinking is something along the lines of “everything with the show’s name on it is enjoyed, this is a thing with the show’s name on it, therefore it will be enjoyed.” But I’m an old-timey Doctor Who fan and I know where that ends up.

You probably don't want to look in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnTSbFeWwro

4 Likes

Wiv the benefit of hindsight, dere Sparrer, how right you were.

4 Likes

The terrible things perpetrated in the name of Dr Who are surpassed only by the terrible things perpetrated in the name of Star Trek, as I understand it.

3 Likes

Among which I’d include the revival.

3 Likes

Parts of it are excellent. Which, really, was all the old show could say; I watched through the whole thing a few years ago, and indeed parts are excellent, but there’s an awful lot of rubbish too. Just how much is good at any given moment and whether it’s worth watching, well, that’s a conversation for the pub.

4 Likes

Fair enough - I gave up midway through the first series. The burping wheelie bin in the very first episode didn’t bode well…

3 Likes

That may well be quote of the year.

3 Likes

“3 chords and the truth”?

5 Likes

TA has at least avoided the trap that Doctor Who has fallen into, in that the people now working on DW are people who grew up loving the programme – which seems as though it shouldn’t be a terrible idea, but when “loving the programme” gets priority over “actually being a good writer”, well.

4 Likes

I’m not sure the current TA SWs qualify on either count.

4 Likes

And just to draw a few digressions together, a rare sighting of Tony and Grace together:

5 Likes