So, who wants to help... to perpetuate the cellar?

Oh Gus what a bluddy nuisance

Olive oil cake?

6 Likes

To be honest, I wasn’t planning on baking today; and there is a shop 2 mins walk away, and I have enough butter for toast and things: I’m just sulking because it seems like as good a way as any of spending a Saturday morning.
First World Problem, really.

5 Likes

I have brioche proving here

I managed to lay my paws on extra strong Canadian flour and today is the day to play with it

Brioche rolls for stuffing with sossiges and salad red cabbage slaw for dinner in the hovel
I might even make a quick BBQ chutney/sauce

5 Likes

I have made smoked mackerel pâtÊ, which is very good on toast.
With butter.

6 Likes

You do know that you can freeze butter so that there is always some in your house for crises, don’t you?

6 Likes

Oh yes. I froze me butter stash for the Wall of Cake, for example. This isn’t a crisis, this is a ‘paying for the bloody stuff and leaving it in the shop because their poxy self-service till ate my last shreds of sanity’ bout of irritation ;- ) You know the sort of thing, I’m sure.

6 Likes

I have just hadda dizzy aster

Me dried yeast is out of date

And I have no fresh

I have hurled my rolls at the oven in vague hopes of edible results

I will start some in a jug and use it for a second lot

6 Likes

I don’t tend to believe the dates. Just use a tiny bit more than you would have done according to the recipe if it were in date. Good luck.

6 Likes

I just checked the oven

Rolls look good

Rescuers of dizzy asters R us

My setting the out of date yeast to foam and adding it with some more flour seems to have done the trick

6 Likes

You’ll probably be fine, I successfully made bread with sachets that were a year past the allegedly “best before” date. It’s pretty well inert until it gets used, so can’t really go off.

ETA

There’s a lot to be said for bulk buying. I heartily endorse this stuff, as I believe do the Fishly-Dunnocks:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A79CENA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got three in September 2018 - I’m still only halfway through the third tin! (A few of the reviews complain that the bread tastes “yeasty”. Rather the point, IMO…)

5 Likes

And as do I, having used some of the F-D’s…

4 Likes

Oooooooo

I usually have fresh yeast from the Polish shop but they had none yesterday

The Bull will be ordered to acquire some of that yeast to have in reserve

6 Likes

I keep it in the fridge. It seems happy enough at present, and I doubt I will have used it up before March this year, which is the use by date on the tin.

5 Likes

Haven’t looked at the date on mine. No problems sixteen months on…

5 Likes

And Flump

Have done 9,500 steps so far

Late Lunch was taken atta Pub

I had Venison Scotch Egg, wiv Garlic Pickle

Bluddy Lovely

We walked to St Mary Radcliffe which was fabulous. Haven’t been for more than 30 years.
DiL has never been to Bristol, & is most impressed.

Well worth a visit, Armers.

Carinthia.xx

8 Likes

I am back from week 2 of the Sausage & Mash Festival (every pub should have one, I’ve decided), feeling somewhat stuffed. Some new flavours this week too.

OMCB & I also tried this and rather enjoyed it…

https://www.jwlees.co.uk/beer/stout

6 Likes

St Mary Redcliffe was “the fairest parish church in this our land” according to Elizabeth I, and that was when it didn’t have all its spire.

6 Likes

Which pub, BTW?

6 Likes

I have only ever been to Bristol once. It was in 1984 and was the first time I met my (then future) mother-in-law who, at the end of the visit, said to TFD “I hope you won’t do anything stupid darling. like marrying her”.

He married me a month later, without telling her. She never forgave him.

7 Likes

Carinthia asks me to post:

7 Likes