So, who wants to help... to perpetuate the cellar?

Inflatable lifeboats exist

Rigid hull jobbies for shallow water rescues

There is one in Kilrush near us

And a big ocean going affair

RNLI is a charity that covers the whole archipelago

Fresh bread out of the oven and bacon butties ready too

6 Likes

And began here on IoM, thanks to Sir William Hillary. He also built (well not personally, I don’t think) the Tower of Refuge in Douglas bay for shipwrecked mariners…

7 Likes

Did they have to stay there, or were they allowed ashore after a bit?

6 Likes

I would hope they are allowed ashore…

After fumigation

7 Likes

Oh, I think they were collected by boat once the weather and the sea had calmed down, and the tower was kept stocked with food and fresh water to sustain them until then.

6 Likes

So it was just temporary mariner storage then?

7 Likes

They kept fresher that way. The alternative was having them wash up on Douglas beach preserved in brine, and salted herring taste better, on the whole.

7 Likes

Here in Oireland they were hurled into the workhouse to labour for a while to cover the cost of rescue

7 Likes

Well, you’d run out of Vikings and Spaniards…

6 Likes

And the wee water feature near us is quite efficiient at repelling any wishing to board us…

7 Likes

I grew up with this lifeboat near https://afloat.ie/safety/lifeboats/item/41778-rnli-portrush-remembers-spanish-trawler-rescue-30-years-ago

6 Likes

Just taken me life in me wings and gone to the post office. (One mask, hanging around the neck of one of the staff – those of you wot have worked in medicine are particularly welcome to join my tseepy chorus of scorn.)

Some lucky person will be getting these trays:

which are intended for holding boardgame bits but which, it occurs to me, might be quite handy for cooking too…

7 Likes

… or processing photographic prints, or etching printed circuit boards, or …

7 Likes

They are great, Dunnock, especially the different colours. Rather like colour-coded chopping boards reduce cross contamination.

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

Werl. Only about 70mm square inside, so quite small prints and circuit boards. On the bright side, very little dissolves PLA (it’s basically polymerised cornstarch), though it does melt quite easily.

7 Likes

Perfect gift for the ID forger in your life :japanese_ogre:

8 Likes

Behave yourself Bull

Or There will be no dinner…

7 Likes

Unwanted dinners disposed of, cheap (or tseep)…

Lovely rain here, just what was needed (at least by me).

6 Likes

But I thort wee birdies would never eat a burger with honey and chipotle in it

Trebuchets a couple wee birdie wards

6 Likes

I think Violet’s trying to get the family to do Bohemian Rhapsody

7 Likes