So, who wants to help... to perpetuate the cellar?

Not this one - it fell apart. Was trying to get it done at the same time as the dinner, so had to use the top oven. Not really suitable for cakes - or more likely needed to extend the cooking time. Was worried about it burning.

Then again, it’s not as though I was going to be blowing out any candles (Mind you, that’d be a pretty good way of getting the whole cake to yourself…)

6 Likes

Sod the cake, Joe. The dinner sounds perfect.

I hope that you have enjoyed your day…

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

I am continuing to enjoy it! And the best part is that there’s so much left over that we won’t have to cook tomorrow! (Unless I have another go at a cake…?)

Might have to lower expectations on the wine front, though… (The Hermitage is quite glorious, BTW)

7 Likes

Happy Birthday to whoever

Here we have dined on paella cooked on the BBQ so the chorizo cooked loooooong and slow and yeilded all its spice into the oil which flavoured the whole dish

Antiques Road show just valued a sewing machine at 5 000 pounds

7 Likes

What sort of sewing machine?

6 Likes

It was a cast iron number that looked like a lion when not in use

Fab looking thing but I am not sure it would sew very well

The tail was a handle for working the machine when not using the treadle

7 Likes

This is similar to the machine I learned to sew with:

No treadle for me!

Soo xx

6 Likes

I didn’t see it, Twellsy. I’ll look on iPlodder

Machines operated by a knee lever were very popular too

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes
7 Likes

It was similar to the one above

7 Likes

A bugga to dust, that.

6 Likes

Snork, Gus

Thank-you Twellsy, I have just seen a picture of the AR one onna fabric group post on FaceAche.

Beeeeyoooooutiful

My mother had a Singer treadle on which she made hers & my clothes.
When I was 11, she bought, after a year saving up, an Elna Lotus Special, which is the one at the caravan in Carinthia.
50 years old, & serviced once. A fabulous machine

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

I have a pre-War Singer which was bought, second-hand, in Oxford Market in 1940 for nineteen shillings and given to my mother for her twenty-first birthday. It has oblong bobbins instead of round ones! Goodness only knows how old it is.

7 Likes

The boat shaped shuttles were a Bugga, Fishy… :wink:

Carinthia.xx

7 Likes

Not sure whether that is the cue for a tongue-twister or an elegant and useful expletive…

7 Likes

WHY does some fuckwit think it a good idea to let off loud fireworks at eight minutes to one on a Monday morning?
fps

A nearby dog (probably my stunted enemy dog, but never mind) seems to agree that this was a very bad idea.

7 Likes

I think you answered your own question with the fourth word.

The fifth might be stretching it a bit.

6 Likes

Ah, Quirk’s Objection: “assumes activity not in evidence”.

Watch the wall, my darling, while the sparrer’s mob go by…

yardarm

6 Likes

Groogh. Florful.
And - yes, R3, I’m looking at you* - it’s a bit ruddy early for Wiliam bleedin’ Tell, innit.

*not that bright, is Gus

7 Likes

I’m considering an Medicinal… :wink:

When I have ‘got my eye in’ I will have to put a Noo bulb in the light above the front door.

As this involves standing on steps & working ‘above my head’ I will leave it forra while…

Carinthia.xx

7 Likes