So, who wants to help ... to rattle on in the cellar?

That’s where I can probably help. Just yell.

3 Likes

SCREAM!
Soo xx

4 Likes

The music people are a mate and his friend. It’s all a bit DIY, with a little help from one’s friends.

The ceilidh band is my BiL with two mates, and they have their own methods. As you might realise, I am clueless, but will not cowp over.

Soo xx

4 Likes

I am off to bed.
Best dreams, Cellarites.
Soo xx

4 Likes

You too, Soo

Wiv Gin

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

It’s really not as complicated as you might think - far easier than a few years ago!

I’ve done this for a few parties now, and basically the rule is keep it lively! Subtlety is not a priority.

Best advice I can give is to hire or borrow a pair of powered PA speakers - your BIL will probably have some - and hook up an iPod or phone. Don’t worry about getting hold of boxes of vinyl or CDs - just get a temporary Spotify account; you can get a free trial for a month. That way you can pretty well guarantee that anything anyone asks for is going to be to hand. My experience, though, is that people don’t really care what’s playing - just so long as there’s a bit of noise. Make sure you have a room away from the noise for those who want to chat - conversation over a relentless disco beat is no fun!

Lighting is very easy to organise, too - you can pick up a very effective sound-triggered set up for next to nothing. If it’s just a smallish room, even something like this will work (I’ve done it!)

https://www.glow.co.uk/sound-activated-disco-light-bulb.html

Obviously, if it’s a bigger hall, you’ll need something bigger, but you’re still talking peanuts! I’ve used this in a biggish dining/function room in a hotel:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PMS-Active-Crystal-Lighting-Lights/dp/B00HLYNF3W/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1529528970&sr=8-10&keywords=disco+light

It won’t fill the room (unless you can get it mounted very high), but you probably wouldn’t want it to - again, a space away from the noise is always welcome! Built-in mic, so if you stick it somewhere it gets a good thump of the bass, it’ll sync perfectly.

5 Likes

From my limited experience with PA stuff I reckon Joe Is Right.

Also, home safe & Beer opened.

5 Likes

You keep the beer in a safe?? Probably wise, now I think of it

5 Likes

Well, Carinthia has the keys for the Cupboard of course. Wouldn’t want to interfere with such important matters. I just do quality control sampling on the tankers…

yardarm

5 Likes

Very helpful, joe. Thank you!
Soo xx

4 Likes

At our wedding we had a disco room and friends had a folk session in another room in the pub

My Grandma was enchanted by the ruder folk songs…

Also she was treated like a queen by my folk musician mates

6 Likes

I bear an Important Message from Gus:

5 Likes

Gus is erm a bit late

I have a gin in my :paw_prints:

5 Likes

Hello? I’m at the pub. Delayed by leaves on the beer line, I think they said.

5 Likes

So you’re at the pub, Gus is on the Gin

Is Fishy under the table eating apricot jam?

Liberates Severial Pitchers

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Goodness - they’re all over the place, Carinthia.
Pitchers? Yes, please.
Soo xx

4 Likes

Aa’ve helped mesel’.

Soo xx

4 Likes

Sorry, Soo

I was gathering the Recycling

As one does

Do have another

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Back 'ome & stoo-fed. Apple cake needs to be et too. It’s a hard life…

5 Likes

:smiley:
Why, thank you! I have been considering recycling collection for next week - it will occur on Tuesday, which is roughly half-way through your visit - so the crash tinkle-tinkle that will occur outside No. 25 can be blamed on DD and soon-to-be-SiL and not you or me! Excellent. The Pernod is intact. Snyff.
Soo xx

4 Likes