So, who wants to help ... to take refuge in the Cellar?

…an enigma wrapped in something warm, I hope

4 Likes

It would be wonderful if it didn’t mean that the exhaustion and generally feeling of not-wellness must therefore have some other cause, and we don’t know what it is.

4 Likes

Yes, there is always that. Pore Fish!
Soo xx

4 Likes

It is just a Bluddy Nuisance. Still, I expect I shall get used to it.

4 Likes

Gwntle hugs forra puzzling fish

5 Likes

It appears that significant others are taking an interest in you (so they bluddy should) so you are not being cast out into the wilderness, Fishers.
I was listening to the explanation as to why Ghoti is Fish on the World Service, this morning, and thought ‘I’ve known that for years’.
Soo xx

5 Likes

You dunno the 'alf of it, dearie.

[ginnity]

5 Likes

Is that my fault, or did you already know when I swam into your ken?

5 Likes

In my case it was long, long before you swam into view, o Fish. Very clear memory of my Godfather writing the words down and underlining them to prove that I was completely wrong about ghoti not being pronounced ‘fish’. I must have been around eitht or nine at the time.

5 Likes

No, Fishers, I knew only when you described it.
Soo xx

4 Likes

I am glad to have spread a little silliness!

3 Likes

How did today’s bread behave, o Fish?
Because I am going for a drink with neighbouring friend later this evening, instead of doing me one large loaf I am baking two smaller ones, to arrive bearing Fresh Bread. Nothing wrong with the rise as such, but they are gloriously on the piss in terms of shape.
< spit! >
That’ll larn me not to pontificate.

4 Likes

Bernard Shaw would have appreciated your efforts, Fishers.
Soo xx

3 Likes

Flat, Gus, flat. Delicious, but flat. I think next time I shall add an egg!

4 Likes

That is NOT going to help, believe me. But a thort did strike me at a very antisocial hour of the morning. Are you using the ‘old’ yeast about which you enquired a few weeks back? Either acquire a noo tin and do another Beast Batch or, alternatively, do it by hand (search online for the Dan Lepard method, doesn’t require massive and exhausting kneading) with the old yeast. But I would use a bit more yeast if it is elderly, as I think I said before.
But ‘delicious’ is the main thing anyway. No Sparrerly complaints have been heard. And I bet yours isn’t insanely lopsided

< Spits again, con fuoco >

4 Likes

I can’t imagine what benefit high velocity hockle may confer onna loaf, but I know nuffink.
Soo xx

3 Likes

It is a new tin, bought last week specially for the enterprise.

No, I just have the opposite of what I have in pastry-making, which tends to turn out light and crisp when I make it. My mother always regarded this as most unfair.

That Bird has almost eaten today’s loaf before going out to play boardgames in a pub, so I think I shall make another lot. I am not going to be beaten!

5 Likes

oh har har, Bee.
But steam is good for crusts, so there could be some marginal benefit…
Gxxx

4 Likes

Well both ‘good’ and ‘grrrr’ fishy. Let’s hope things settle.

Meanwhile GHOTI is something I have used in Communication training for a long time. Always works.

5 Likes

Makes the crusts harder or softens them, Gus? Because the ones I am getting are plenty hard enough, especially on Day #2.

4 Likes