So, who wants to help ... to take refuge in the Cellar?

Cheaper to run and no flickering; what’s not to love?

3 Likes

To be mentioned alongside ordure! The shame!
Soo xx

2 Likes

Have some Gin, Soo

It’s bound to help…

Stupid question : Can I just buy a tube & use the existing fitting ? It’s a 60cm tube in the Utiddly Room

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

What, for Substitubes? Yes, that’s the point - they fit your existing fluorescent fixture. Fitting them is exactly the same process as changing a tube + a starter, with the very minor extra complication that you want them to be the right way up so that the LEDs point down.

4 Likes

Thank-you Dunnock

Will order

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

Sorted

Smile.Amazon owed me a refund, so I have sorted all 3 lots of bulb requirements for £10-97 & free delivery

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Hurrah! And there shall be light.

5 Likes

Well, as promised: 1 white fruit soda, 1 brown soda, 1 experimental sort of French style white.

Who’s feeling adventurous?

5 Likes

[happy peckity]

4 Likes

It has been a somewhat fraught afternoon/evening here, so I am partaking of an Bacon ‘Chop’ Sandwich anna glass of wine

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Tell me more, dere joe. Not baguette-style, I presume. That has always struck me as a wet and messy faff.
I’ve never had fruited soda bread. I feels Deprived now.

4 Likes

Cold pigwiches here with fine fresh bread.

5 Likes

I am spending the evening going through the contents of two previous computers, most of which are files translated so they can be opened; I’m deleting the ones which can’t, having made sure I have a copy of each, and periodically reading things I wrote back then and pondering a little…

4 Likes

Pondering here too, Fishy

Share an Slammer?

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

An excellent idea!

I am not going to re-read my father’s Memoir, which is one of the things retrieved…

4 Likes

Good nights, Cellarites.
Soo xx

4 Likes

Slammer too, Soo?

Carinthia xx

4 Likes

A wee one, thank you.
Soo xx

4 Likes

I’m glad it’s not just me! Found a recipe and thought I’d give it a go. Followed to the letter, but the dough had the roughly the consistency of curdled milk; how you were supposed to form it into any sort of shape is anyone’s guess. Eventually just poured it into a tin, covered it and left it to prove. An hour or so later, I came back to find a gooey mess overflowing on to the worktop. No option but to abandon it and start again. This time, I divided the mixture between two tins. One ended up about an inch and a half high, the other about six inches! Of course, slicing it revealed the worst case of flying crust I’ve ever seen… Tasted OK, though, which was a relief.

So today I decided to try a pick’n’mix approach: the same basic recipe, but given an extra proving. Left it first in the bowl, then knocked back and transferred to a tin. Result wasn’t bad, but didn’t have the lightness I was looking for - and nearly got with the previous batch. This time I was using the hand-baking yeast, and I suspect it might be past its best. I may also have left it too long when activating it - there was an awful lot of froth, so I probably wasted quite a bit of “lift”. Oh well, tomorrow’s another day…

The brown soda is good, though, if I say so myself :slight_smile: . Haven’t tried the fruit yet. (Very simple to do, BTW - just add a pile of mixed fruit to the dry ingredients and use only white flour*. I had about half a packet left over from something or other and just chucked it in. You might need to add a little extra milk to bind it, but you’ll know by the feel)

*I suppose you could use brown, but I’ve never seen it, and it just seems wrong, somehow. I suspect it would be too crumbly.

5 Likes

Yeast can be really awkward can’t it?

Howsumevva

The prize for awkwardness should really go to avocados, IMO - rock hard when you buy them, & by the time you have taken yer coat orff & put the kettle on they are bad…

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes