So, who wants to help ... to take refuge in the Cellar?

Looks fabulous, Armers.

Today was the first day this year on which I felt too hot in boots in the car. But that was at about two pm; by evening I was cold again.

5 Likes

That, Gus, is pretty much exactly the sort of thing I had in mind - thank you! I suspect it would benefit from being made now rather than tomorrow? I generally find anything involving chillis improves if left for a day or so to infuse properly.

4 Likes

It will sort of gently fester and mature, so yes, if you feel like pootling with it this evening. But it is fine if made for pretty much immediate consumption, too. A versatile beastie. Don’t omit the bay leaf. It seems to be important to it.

4 Likes

There is also the advantage of being on my own in the house at the moment, so I have a couple of hours uninterrupted kitchen time.

Was thinking of using a couple of deseeded and chopped birdseye chillis; any reason I shouldn’t? (This is being offered as an option, and two thirds of the regular gannets have rather taken the masochistic route where chillis are concerned. The other third can have Heinz…)

4 Likes

Cooked rice should be rapidly cooled, spread thinly on a baking tray and then fridged asap. Bacillus cereus is a vicious bugga, and uncooked rice often contains the spores. So, leaving a mound of cooling rice is arsking for trouble as the bacteria thereby cultured produce the toxins that have the ghastly GI effects.

Feel sick, now.

Soo xx.

5 Likes

I would be inclined to use the two birdseyes whole, pricked all over with a needle and give them a bit of a scorch when you are doing the cumin and vinegar bit, and leave them in it overnight, then remove them. If you then feel inclined to add a bit of the soft flesh back, do, but I don’t think you will feel the need.
All sounds splendid, though. Do please let us know how you get on.

4 Likes

OK - I will be guided by you.

No set time to arrive, incidentally - just make sure you have room in your bag for a couple of egg boxes when leaving…

Now pottering in the general direction of the kitchen…

4 Likes

Aye, wee Bee, but no one was leaving mounds of warm rice, about. It’s the slowly cooled, insufficiently reheated, held-over rice that poses a danger. A somewhat overstated one, imo, in the domestic environment.

Yrs, Gus Borgia xx

4 Likes

Aww joe. Lovely eggies from your kind and thoughtful birds would be a bit wasted on me, though (although I do feel another load of that gingerbread coming on: it was glorious). I suppose I could import them for deserving Cellarites this side of the water.
I do hope you like the sauce - it’s just a version of a fairly standard recioe that a feller called Paul, who threw very splendid barbecues and then went slightly insane and married a cousin of mine, taught me. I just don’t think it needs ferocious chillification, though I have no objection to Scoville ferocity on principle. And it shouldn’t be too sweet. Ach, taste as you go, you’ll work out what you like, you are a more than competent cook, you’ve given that away long since :wink: But the bay leaf is essential, as is the cumin.

4 Likes

Reheating would not disable the toxins, Gus.
Yrs, Ya Bee XX

4 Likes

Well there’s eggs and there’s eggs. Still have a bit of this giving me the old come-on in a secluded corner. I might be persuaded to share, with a bit lot of arm twisting…

5 Likes

The Lad will not eat any leftovers from a Chinese takeaway the next day, Soo

He eats what he wants from the feast & then, if it’s at their house, it goes in the bin

When he was in Orsepiddle in Leeds, he ate toast fer breakfast, because it was made on the ward, & then had wrapped/packaged sandwiches, preferably brought in by DiL

Do have an Gin, or 3

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Thank you.
(I know someone who had B.cereus food poisoning and it nearly fettled her. Chinese fried rice was the culprit, although it has never come back to bite me.)
Soo xx

4 Likes

It would severely inconvenience the bacillus, though, my Buzzly One. Do you know anyone who, in the domestic sphere, has poisoned themself or others with rice? It is the holding over of rice on hotplates that gets the toxins really going. And assuming that your rice was properly cooked in the first place and is not being kept in a kitchen where fresh rice, with possibly active spores which might cause airborne contamination, is being prepared, then you are going to be fine.

4 Likes

What an elegant and appealing egg.
No disrespect to hard-working fowl. I do wish I liked eggses better than I do. Himself was a man for the eggs though.

4 Likes

Not nice atall, Soo, although I have been fine too

Just a small amusing ( to me at least), aside about Orsepiddle food :
My Late Father had many things wrong with him, including a diagnosis of Vascular Dementia, where he could start a sentence making ‘normal’ sense, & finish it by being away with the fairies.

The daughter of 1 of his greatest friends didn’t believe me when I said this- she was something of an expert on my Father’s Elf having declared that it was neglect my his GP which caused all the trouble in 2011

Anyhoo

Friday afternoon in a ward full of Old Darlings. Lunch had been served at 12Noon, & we could still smell it at 4pm- Admiral Pie - a sort of fishy mashed-up creation wot lingered everywhere

Dad didn’t like fish, or mash

Dad was dozing, & woke up to find that Friend & Daughter had arrived . He told me that his Lunch was so good that he had sent his compliments to the Chef…

Gobby daughter believed me then…

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Love it!

I’m off to bed, resolving not to turn on the wireless first thing - just in case something horrible has happened.
Good nights, Cellarites.
Soo xx

4 Likes

Wry grin, dere Chatelaine.

But abaht this bread: well, it’s like this. The loaf is just too big to fit into the receptacle I use in place of a proper God-fearing breadbin, so I think I am going to have to cut the end off it. Can I interest you in a buttered crust - not hot, but fresh as you’ll get? No rice flour was involved, I promise, so it’s probably safe to eat tonight…

4 Likes

Hmm…
I do have your best interests at heart, Dere Gus.
Soo zzzzzzzzzz

4 Likes

Yes, it has been an unsettling day in so many ways, Soo

Don’t ferget yer Gin

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes