So, who wants to help ... to take refuge in the Cellar?

Could be a new sporting event for BBC2?

4 Likes

Barra… “A wild and lonely place.You understand.”

4 Likes

And tiresome. What would one want with a load of schoolchildren? They can’t be either sheared or legally sent to the abbatoir, after all.

6 Likes

And they make such a noise when their ankles are nipped.

I am actually thinking of an unemployed border collie I once knew who lived in a house with a communal garden (a slice of Cornwallis Crescent, for the Bristolians among us) and used to round up children it found in that garden and pen them in the undercroft between the terrace you got access to from the first floor, and the house-terrace. Their mothers used to get all agitated.

We once found a size small pair of purple y-fronts in the bushes there, and wondered whether the dog had Gone Too Far This Time.

5 Likes

I imagine they might have been hung there to dry, surreptitious like. That was one good, conscientious dog. ‘Gissa job!’, bless its determined canine heart.

5 Likes

They could be sold to a sweep. The man thought to have been the original of the sweep in ‘The Water Babies’ ended up as Alderman (at that time and in that place the equivalent of Mayor) of the Town of Wokingham. Round 'em up, doggy, Fagin will be along shortly, that’s a cut above sweeps.

5 Likes

“Attract a Sucker,” it could be called. I was walking along trying not to make inappropriate remarks one day when a border collie I hadn’t met before, being walked on the opposite pavement, went down flat (as they do) and refused to move until I’d crossed the road to see him, whereupon he rolled over to have his tummy tickled. The next time I saw him, he whimpered until I came to fuss him. Gurt softy! x

5 Likes

A place in which it was very hard to remain sober. The local priest, asked by a friend of mine what they did in the winter, replied: “We converse”. One day, on the neighbouring island of Vatersay, a young bull tried telling me I was on his territory, raking his feet with his head down and so on. A door opened in a nearby house, an old lady appeared with a rolled-up newspaper and hit him on the nose with it. He turned and ran off. She turned and invited me to the ceilidh the next evening.

6 Likes

Love it, Aisling

My Late Mother had a border collie, brought from Ireland in a motorbike pannier

I was furious that my Father ( also now Late) & the Irish Rellies, had colluded in bringing a tiny pup on a long journey to a woman struggling with MS who fell over at the drop of a hat

How wrong I was

The 2 of them formed a deep & lasting bond & appeared to look after each other…

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

I used to live for a time on a caravan site on the outskirts of Galway, where I sat and ate my dinner admiring the Cliffs of Moher far away across Galway Bay, and was kept awake at night by a corncrake, the most idiotic of birds, on the other side of an ancient dry stone wall. There being a housing shortage in the city, the population was longish term and the various dogs, about 20 of them, had formed themselves into a pack. The leader, called “Rebel”, had a German Shepherd head but was a mite deficient in the long legs department. Watchers of ‘Game of Thrones’ might think of him as a canine Tirion Lanister. He used to come and report that all was well when I emerged in the morning. One day I was in the wash house when one of the dogs came in, obviously having been sent to fetch me. If you can picture Rebel with a peaked cap, a clip-board and a stub of indelible pencil (so as to speak) there he was looking aggrieved with all the dogs there, six of them keeping the GF flat against my caravan, snarling if she moved. Nobody had troubled to tell Rebel anything about her, she wasn’t on the list, smelled of Old English Sheepdog (at home), and had tried to open the door of my caravan and walk in, as bold as brass! He couldn’t be held responsible, we didn’t realise how difficult it was keeping us and all our possessions safe, etc., etc.

6 Likes

I had her let them smell her hands, after which they ignored her. When she visited, I noticed one or two dogs were always nearby, Just In Case, because they (like Sam Gamgee) clearly thought I was too soft-hearted for my own good.

5 Likes

That’s just the sought of thing I’d expect from a BC, Carinthia! They’re lovely, highly intelligent dogs. Even those supreme founts of wisdom, granny cats, have been known to treat them as equals. A x

5 Likes

The neglected and/or rejected children of Cornwallis Crescent were being kept safe from the wolves. Humans obviously approved of this arrangement and knew where to fetch them once they had found packs willing to take them. Playing in the garden? Oh no, much too dangerous. A child’s mother? That’s what she says, can she prove it? This dog was trained by the best, Dostoievsky’s Grand Inquisitor in person (‘The Brothers Karamazov’).

4 Likes

After reading that lot I need a
#yardaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarm!
(and I shall get over the gigglies in a while)

4 Likes

To quote the late and greatly lamented Barney McKenna, “God only gave them two notes - and one of them’s flat.”

4 Likes

Joe: snork!!!

4 Likes

Snork seconded, in spades, doubled, redoubled.

3 Likes

What’s to drink, Ms Fish, ma’am?

2 Likes

Oh look, how thoughtful! Fresh mint on the bar. And other vegetation. Right Ho, then. Pimm’s up, chaps!

4 Likes

Summat Vodka-based, please

Perhaps if I’m drinking I’ll stop sneezing

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes