Stella

This seems to be an odd choice of name.
How old is the character? To be a credible farm manager with experience both of family farms and corporate agriculture, I would guess mid-thirties as a minimum. Now of course some people do have unusual names, but I never encountered a small Stella in the 80s.
It jars in the same way Dorothy did.

6 Likes

A celeb brat being given the name is often a catalyst; at school, there were three Sarahs in my year. What age is Stella McCartney?

6 Likes

Fifty -something, must be.

Ah. Turns 50 next month.

6 Likes

Possible, then?

Just checked - she’ll be fifty in September, so it does sound about right

6 Likes

Snap!

5 Likes

That accounts for Stellas in their late 40s; I’m betting the new manager is rather younger than that. Oh well, it’s got to be called something…

4 Likes

The US Social Security Administration has a very handy service whereby you can look up popular names given in a particular birth year. I don’t believe the UK has anything similar except for occasional top tens in newspapers.

In the US, “Stella” declined steadily until 1985, then climbed again.

5 Likes

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/livebirths/articles/babynamesexplorer/2019-06-07
Stella hasn’t been in the top 100 at any time from 1904.

5 Likes

Many people prefer to give their children names they think may not belong also to seven other children in the day-nursery…

5 Likes

I did acknowledge that unusual names hapoen, you know ;- )
I maintain that Dorothy and Stella are odd editorial choices for characters of their particular vintages. Of course, I could be way off with my estimate of Stella’s age. And there are plenty of small Dorothys about now.

5 Likes

Carinthia doesn’t appear atall
Snell Snyff

My other name was very popular when I was born… :wink:

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

With lots of friends

6 Likes