She were terrible sick.
Four years ago today
She went away.
Mia
Wouldn’t sia
And the PoreLittulMite
Has forgotten her quite.
Hurray!

And how dare the dolt Christopher put Alice’s name on a card without consultation while wanting Burfday Tea Apartheid? I’d staple his nadgers to a gatepost for that.

5 Likes

First find his nadgers

If he has any

4 Likes

Got plenty of staples.

4 Likes

Bit odd that people are sending cards anyway: presumably the SWs wanted to remind us either about the Terrible Tragedy or of Alice’s Terrible Behaviour.

Do Hallmark do a ‘Sorry I was ratarsed at the funeral’ card?

4 Likes

And why would Nic give a single damn, or know, about something which happened at her funeral after she was dead?

For how many years should one send cards of condolence on the anniversary of someone’s death, anyway? Do they send Jill cards for Phil? Elizabeth for Nigel? Christine for George? Carol for John, even though she killed him?

4 Likes

Well if you want to ask that in Ireland you would see that death is remembered at least 40 years with mass and notices in the local paper

I am somewhat bemused by this

3 Likes

It explains a very great deal.

2 Likes

Condolence cards are usually sent on hearing of the death, not as Anniversary cards.

If it were someone I was particularly fond of, I might send a message/write a note/speak to the person saying that I was thinking of them.

Mass can be said for anyone, at any time. Birthdays are sometimes chosen, but more often, it is the Anniversary of a death.

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

… but I don’t think sending anniversary cards would be a Thing in Ambridge

4 Likes

My son rang me on what would have been my father’s hundredth birthday; does that count? I don’t think any of us made any particular note of the date of his death, though. (So I have to look it up on Wikipedia every damn time…)

3 Likes

Mass cards are definitely sent on the anniversary of a death

I think it depends on who died and how close you are to the person you send a mass card to
Death is a big thing here

I went to my friend’s funeral and even around the grave was decorated with flowers much to my surprise

2 Likes

It’s taken off in other places too, I understand…

3 Likes

Not sure why you were surprised at the flowers, Twellsy. Itizz pretty standard, in many cultures, & if not flowers, some other marker.

Catholics have Masses said for the repose of the soul, & there is the Funeral Mass, the ‘Minding’ Mass a week later, & then another Mass a month later. The sort of minimum official mourning period.

Anniversaries of death are marked by a Mass too. My Irish family are all remembered again on St Patrick’s Day.

Howsumevva, we don’t ‘just’ remember our own, or our friends. It is incumbent on us to remember & pray for ‘those who have died & gone before us, marked with the sign of Faith’.

Most of us won’t get straight in through the pearly gates, but have to wait a while to reflect & hopefully receive spiritual cleansing in Purgatory. These are the souls who get prayed for.
Other Christian denominations, & indeed, other religions have a similar idea, but it was firmly rejected by the CofE /Protestant faiths.

I find it all very interesting

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

So do I

I was dragged up in the Methodist church with youth groups in the Presbyterian church so basically “plant em quick and look after the living” school of thought

Hence I find the bells smells and so on to be fascinating

Just different to what I know

As for the “reposing” That was a whole new bafflement for this thick old plod

4 Likes

I was once at a funeral taking place first at a church in Sheen and then at Mortlake Cemetary, which is pretty-much directly under one of the Heathrow flight-paths.

When the bit by the grave involving “peace eternal” was drowned out by yet another low-flying passenger jet, two or three of us had to hide behind bushes to have hysterics. The deceased would also have been laughing her socks off, I suspect.

4 Likes

Research reveals that he didn’t; Emma sent a card to Will and the kids for all of them “and put your name on it too”.

So you are hating the wrong person here. Go and staple some part of Emma’s anatomy to a gatepost instead.

3 Likes

Gladly. Do I have to unstaple her brother first? I feel disinclined to, even if I was blaming him unfairly for non-consensual carding.

3 Likes

Staples! Gateposts! Getcher staples 'ere! Buy two mallets, get one free!

3 Likes