That Archers Who's Who idea

I like it, Joe!

1 Like

That’s a good thought, Fishers. Since I’ve just written a calculator for such things, let’s give it a test. I’ll take the lat and long from Alcester, since that seems likely to be not too far off. For Sunday 2 January 2011, I have moonrise at 06.44, moonset at 14.15, and the next moonrise on Monday at 07.35. New moon was on the following Tuesday.

3 Likes

joe, that is brilliant. I am adding it to the “nicknames” even though it wasn’t in Peet’s, because I think it ought to go there and be seen and known.

Barwick Mondegreens: mishearings which become board Pravda through repetition without confirmation (joe)

1 Like

It is not possible to make this short…

“David was under pressure from all sides both to give evidence and not to give evidence: Jill wanted him to give way and not do it, and Ruth had told Adam what was going on, too, and made Adam feel guilty about their being under pressure on his account; Ed, Emma and Susan knew and were afraid. Eventually David bowed to pressure and said he would agree not to testify. Ruth (as the result of a talk with Kenton) immediately changed her mind and told him that he should. The following day, naturally, Elizabeth came specially to tell him that he was being stupid to give evidence. At this point his refusal to tell anyone what was going on began to make sense…”

2 Likes

I particularly like that ‘naturally’, Fanta. Speaks volumes.

2 Likes

Too much “pressure”, but as a first draft…

And praise be to God, I have finished the first draft of David! Yay me!

Bedtime.

4 Likes

Dare I suggest you should sleep well? Not only fatigue from Fishly labours, but the company you have been keeping: he’s not xactly likely to set the Am on fire, poor dolt, now is he?
nighters, fishers

4 Likes

Setting the Am on fire. There’s a pleasing thought.

“Oh no! Huge leak at the Lower Pendon Oil Refinery!”

4 Likes

The draft for David is now proof-read for the first time, and I am leaving it as it is for the time being.

Dan Archer is just as bad, but shorter because he hasn’t got as much recent stuff to fill in. He had a less “exciting” life than David has had so far.

1 Like

You know the Raymond Chandler advice, “When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.”?

I am concluding that one of the mottoes of the scriptwriters is “when in doubt, burn something down.” One of the Brookfield barns burnt down full of the oat crop, the Stables burnt down full of horses, Frank Meads set fire to a Brookfield barn, Keith Horrobin set fire to a Brookfield barn…

It’s the Arson Fairy!

2 Likes

You missed “about”

2 Likes

Ah: Arsène Gabout and his petit ami Guy Dardavit, once shining lights of the Vorticist movement in France, now sadlyforgotten…

2 Likes

One time that ol’ fairy failed in her ambitions was when Mike set out to burn down Jim Ascott’s barn, and Eddie of all people managed to talk him out of it and take away his can of petrol.

2 Likes

Done Dan and Doris, Whew!

2 Likes

Not enough fire in TA these days.

I could lend 'em Rob the Torch as a consultant.

2 Likes

We had two unexplained fires a while back: the henmobile and a Grange Farm outbuilding. The first was definitely arson (there were traces of an accelerant) but the SL was simply dropped.

3 Likes

Gene-tweaked incendiary hens (don’t ask about the Bomb Bovines) could go over well.

4 Likes

Peggy is such an amazingly good judge of character! In two days I have typed up

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Dick Corbey
Played by: Geoffrey Lewis
Just before Peggy employed Polly and Sid Perks to run the Bull for her at the end of 1972, she got in a temporary manager after Jack Archer’s death that June, and asked him to stay an extra three months in spite of his being unpopular in the village, particularly with her son Tony, who Suspected The Worst (but had cried wolf before). This time Tony was right: first Dick “Corbey” was discovered to have used other surnames, Watkins and Delahay, and then he helped himself to a lot of the stock one night and did a runner. The police caught up with him in Manchester, and initially he tried to implicate Peggy in the thefts; but at his trial he exonerated her.
Dave Escott
Played by: Charles Collingwood
In 1974 Dave Escott came and stayed at the Bull purporting to be an interior design consultant, owner of a company called Escott Design Services, and talked Peggy into letting him redesign the Ploughman’s Bar free as an advertisement for his new company. He had chatted up Nora McAuley and Polly Perks before discovering that the owner was Peggy, and she may also have been the last to realise that he was on the make, bur she found him attractive and was flattered by him, though she did have the self-preservation not to invest in his business. She started to have her doubts when he offered her a commission on any work she might put his way from her friends, and when Jack Woolley did offer him work at Grey Gables he sent her a cheque, which she sent back. She told Jack about it, and his nose for a villain twitched, leading him to investigate Escott and discover that he was an undischarged bankrupt with an unregistered “company”. A few words from Jack persuaded Escott that his best course would be to disappear, which he did, leaving a cheque to pay for his stay at the Bull. It bounced. Peggy did not take any action against him for it because she was angry with Jack for interfering in her business, even though he quite probably have saved her a lot of money.

(Only thirteen more beginning with D to do, and none is very long.)

(And they are done. Onwards! E beckons.)

2 Likes

I’d forgotten that E included both Eddie and Ed, as well as Elizabeth. Argh, on the whole.

1 Like