That horse picture

I’m surprised; it was drilled into us relentlessly in primary school (late 60s / early 70s). At least, the “big” stories: Creation, Noah’s Ark, Moses, Abraham and Isaac, Samson and so forth.

I’m quite envious actually; he was spared out-of-tune class renditions of The Animals Went In Two By Two

4 Likes

I remember having a similar reaction when I was at primary school (1950-1962) and then discovering Ben Britten’s “Noye’s Fludde” in my late teens, But the most significant religious tract I have ever read (to date) has to be Mark Russell’s “God is Disappointed In You” - well worth poring over, and puts The Good Book into a new light!
https://www.amazon.com/God-Disappointed-You-Mark-Russell-ebook/dp/B00D4DOKKG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2OE9ZXB1931HC&keywords=god+is+disappointed+in+you&qid=1556133684&s=gateway&sprefix=God+is+diss%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-1
Here’s what amazon sez:
"God Is Disappointed in You is for people who would like to read the Bible…if it would just cut to the chase. Stripped of its arcane language and interminable passages, every book of the Bible is condensed down to its core message, in no more than a few pages each.

Written by Mark Russell with cartoons by New Yorker cartoonist Shannon Wheeler, God Is Disappointed in You is a frequently hilarious, often shocking, but always accurate retelling of the Bible, including the parts selectively left out by Sunday School teachers and church sermons.

Irreverent yet faithful, this book is a must-read for anyone who wants to see past the fog of religious agendas and cultural debates to discover what the Bible really says."

5 Likes

I beg your very pardon !!

Known in my schools as “the Jewish bits” we thoughly learnt the more attainable of the stories from the OT. We did, to be fair, miss out all the begatting & the obscure prophets and took the interesting bits as discrete topics. But we DID do them.

5 Likes

He seemed to have avoided the OT pretty-much entirely.

Even the Bears.

4 Likes

It is generally discouraged at that age.

5 Likes

It certainly should have been discouraged at some of their ages. Very irresponsible to have a child at 187, let alone to go on to father younger siblings. Tsssk

5 Likes