The Bull landlords

When the Archers first started ther was a different landlord- it was several episodes before Jack took over - What was that landlords name?

7 Likes

Absolutely no idea: sorry. But hello, and welcome.

6 Likes

His name was Sam Saunders, Rubble.

Welcome to the Board!

5 Likes

For future reference, there are other things attached to this board, at https://ambridgereporter.org.uk

They are

Archers Nicknames, Phrases and abbreviations
The ownership of The Bull as a Free House
Ambridge Residences and Occupiers
Blossom Hill Cottage History
Visits between Ambridge and Prudhoe from 1996 to 2015
Single wicket dates and winners
Names with the initials C and K
Ambridge Christmas Entertainments
People who had cause before the stabbing to dislike/mistrust Rob Titchener
Vicars of Ambridge
Willow Farm History

and I have just updated The Bull to include its landlords before Jack and Peggy bought it in 1959.

5 Likes

Thank you - this has been a debate for several years in our household . Most of my family said I was suffering with some form of memory loss in reverse. Also it was on at a different time in those days.

7 Likes

Yes, indeed, and not on the Home Service either: in 1951 The Archers was on the Light Programme at 19:45 on weekdays and then moved to 18:45, with the Omnibus on Saturdays at 19.30.

If the rest of your family want documentary evidence about the Bull’s landlord in the 1930s and 1940s, it is in the entry “BULL, THE” in The Book of The Archers by Patricia Greene, Charles Collingwood and Hedli Nicklaus, published by Michael Joseph in 1994. Sam Saunders is not in the BBC Genome project in the Archers casts there; did he speak?

6 Likes

Welcome, Rubble, stick around, do!

4 Likes

Oh, and for a short time it was on the light Programme at 11:45!

4 Likes

Seconded - there’s a glass/tankard/bottle/lake of [insert tipple of choice] with your name on it in the Cellar. Possibly more than one. In fact, almost certainly more than one (unless you’re counting by the tankerload…)

4 Likes