The Moon Under Water

Orwell’s ideal and not-quite-existent pub. Not a wholly convincing name, I have always felt.
Imaginary pub names and - if desired - their peculiar attributes.

The Spatchcocked Eagle.
Beer - flat.
Good fried squid on the bar menu (aye, a tale does hang thereby…)

3 Likes

I think it was an old Steve Bell cartoon that featured The Driven Drinker

3 Likes

The Old Phoenix
Refuge, for one night only, for characters from any alternate history whatsoever; a certain amount of cross-breeding may occur.
Excellent beer and ale, hard to identify by origin, good food (served by Wenches, if you’re lucky), comfortable beds.
Can only be located if you are in a crisis.

3 Likes

The Goat and Gibbous Moon

Something of a local pub for local people, but they’ll be glad to share their quaint customs with you if you buy a round (bring shillings, the prices haven’t been updated for a while). Avoid the shepherd’s pie.

4 Likes

I’d quite like a bar, old fashioned, lots of wood & handled pots which is called “Does it look Like We Sell Lager ?”

4 Likes

And where if you ask for shandy the barman looks at you thoughtfully and says, “I’m sorry, we don’t serve cocktails”?

4 Likes

Here’s a Victorian pub reconstruction from the Museum of London:

5 Likes

There is a pub in Tooting which has a lot of etched glass, and tiles on the walls in places and an ornamental tiled floor in places. I can’t remember its name, though. Next pub along on the left from The Castle on Tooting Bec High Street aka the A24; possibly the King’s Head.

Definitely the King’s Head.

2 Likes