The Politics Thread

In typo veritas (rediviva)

From a BTL comment on an (appallingly self-serving) article by Brandon Lewis and David Frost in yesterday’s Irish Times. Apologies for the mental image

“The uk government signed up to the protocol to give boris and co locker room bragging tights”

4 Likes

Cheers for that, joe :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

I can’t help wondering if they were part of Hancock’s dodgy PPE contracts

3 Likes

The ones where people were asked to reuse it, Joe?

:nauseated_face::face_with_head_bandage::mask: indeed…

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

:scream:

3 Likes

The BBC is running very scared. This government is full of people in the Murdoch pocket who would love to shut it down, and its controllers have decided that bending over backwards to follow the party line is the best way of avoiding that. So nothing bad is ever described as the fault of Brexit, and since official policy is that the pandemic is mostly over and nobody really needs to worry any more, that’s BBC policy too.

4 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/LanceJCarter/status/1468889960803667968

4 Likes

The Emperor’s New Clothes. Doing my head in.
Soo xx

5 Likes

Hard to be sure which specific thing is assaulting the Beely cranium. Embarras du choix.
< spit > anyway, as a matter of general principle.

5 Likes

Too many to mention, Gus. I am genuinely concerned about the advance of fascism and that we are being ‘governed’ by absolute knackers. I don’t mind if this post is expunged, but it gives a fleeting idea of how I feel. Cheery bee, me.

Soo xx

5 Likes

Indeed, me dear.
Gxx

5 Likes

And the fascism thing, too, mind.
Soo xx

5 Likes

I’m putting this here because I don’t think it quite belongs in the Cellar, even though it’s on account of things that have been said there by JustJanie.

I came across this today, from a somewhat irritated retired trucker. He wrote it yesterday.

“I was a Truck Driver for 30 + years. I heard ALL ABOUT all these supposed “protests” for this and that including actual real issues all of my career. Let’s get a few things straight here. If you are a Company Driver, you WILL lose your job if you take company assets and use them in this manner not to mention your Family will starve and you will lose your Home. You will be “blackballed” and the only one that will hire you is MAYBE JB Hunt or Swift as long as it was not their truck you protested with. If you are an Owner Operator, you have financial obligations to several different entities that do not give a rat’s ass about anything but their money and will relieve you of said vehicle if payments are not made. If you own your vehicle AND trailer outright and can afford not to operate it for ANY length of time, you are a VERY small minority of Drivers that actually have very little to be whining about other than your fragile ego. The notion that ANYONE has the “right” to take their fellow Citizens hostage by interrupting the free flow of commerce is foolish. You have NO right to deny food , medicine, fuel and essential supplies to everyone else. Want to protest, go to the seat of Government. Go to their houses and park your asses THERE and honk your airhorns like children. And all you “good 'ol boys” in your jacked up 4 wheel drives with the plastic bull nuts hanging from the trailer hitch, go home and quit pretending that you are a trucker. You ARE NOT !! Most of you could not handle it for a single week much less make it a career. Go home to your mobilehome or apartment and go back to work at Lowe’s and Home Depot. Y’all grow up and support your Families and stop acting like spoiled children and if you are going to protest, I suggest you you figure out how it is done properly. And that means NOT pissing off the average Citizen you idiots. Bunch of damn amateurs think they are activists…you have NO clue.”

Not much help to JJ because he is clearly an American not a Canadian, but still satisfactory – and I suspect the practicalities might be the same north of the border as they are to the south.

5 Likes

One well vented spleen using simple language that one hopes truckers can comprehend

4 Likes

was particularly striking.

5 Likes

Well, yes; the contempt fair leaped off the screen at that point.

5 Likes

A friend of mine in the US got some Truck Nuts for his very small imported hybrid car. I think he likes starting fights.

5 Likes

Seems like sound advice. Boy - is he mad!

Soo xx

5 Likes

Can’t blame him, really: his profession is being used by the guys in the black hats for their own purposes, and the people who will get hurt as a result are members of his profession rather than the guys in the black hats. Outrage is a proper reaction, really.

5 Likes

Don’t know if this is the right place for this but

The Tweet was taken down almost instantly but I screenshotted it.

6 Likes