This woman is worth a read

“All are duly convulsed by guilt, horror, anger and self-righteousness”

6 Likes

Loved it. She’s got a real touch of Nancy, hasn’t she? Which is fine by me, though I dare say she will develop her own style as time goes on.

5 Likes

the villagers quarantined themselves from the outside world. Over the next year, more than half of them died
We can but dream.

I have always thought something of the kind about Tom…

5 Likes

A very promising start.

4 Likes

Now now Gus

Who would you hate if all the characters died off?

4 Likes

Hate is not the objective. Hate is the consequence.

3 Likes

Perhaps but Gus would not be Gus without her jaundiced view of the characters!

And I aspire to be like Gus if I grow up!

4 Likes

For “jaundiced” read “rational”.

(If you think you disagree, try to name one character you’d be happy to live with…)

4 Likes

In the same house, or in the same village?

4 Likes

I was thinking house, but in many cases village would also apply. As would country.

Or planet.*

*Safe enough there - I’ve long wondered what planet most of them are on…

5 Likes

I think I would happily live next door to Lillian and keep her company on the gin…

5 Likes

Granted, she’s not the worst. (Not a particularly high bar, in a population that includes Lynda)

5 Likes

If it were a large house so that we were not in each other’s hair the entire time, Oliver. Ditto Jim, once I’d taught him the hard way to stop showing off his Latin tags. And funnily enough, David, because his bombast would make me laugh.

Caroline would have been fine, with a similar large house proviso.

3 Likes

Friday sees the launch of the sixth annual academic Archers conference, an event devoted to love for, and scrutiny of, the world’s longest-running soap opera.

3 Likes

Ambridge, which is starting to resemble a religious cult so deeply sequestered from the rest of the country that government regulations have no chance of penetrating therein.

4 Likes

I have a wonderful picture of the Ambridge men dressed as hand boys now

It’s making me giggle

4 Likes

They keep saying 'in an episode written before lockdown '. I find that increasingly difficult to believe.

4 Likes

“Mark my words, she would have been better off taking that job in aeronautical engineering in Canada, the one she got in 2013, instead of remaining trapped inside Ambridge’s malign invisible forcefield.”

6 Likes

Too many minor errors. Ambridge’s play isn’t next weekend, Toys’r’Us went bust in 2018 and closed, Susan didn’t fancy herself as Jesus as far as we know…

6 Likes

It’s a journalist writing for the feckin’ Guardian!

6 Likes