To my surprise, Helen

got something right.

Yes, the boys damn’ well should be allowed to choose for themselves what colours they want their rooms to be!

And she also wanted Henry to choose his own new bed, when Rob was telling her that the child had to have one.

She may be the only parent in Ambridge who doesn’t just arbitrarily decide such things for their child.

Mind you, in the long run it will be saving her trouble if she does, so she isn’t doing it for altruistic reasons.

6 Likes

I hate to admit it, but you’re right.

No, no, I don’t mind admitting you are right (used to it now) but it sticks in the craw a bit when it’s Helen.
I do hope the Rapelet wants Girly Pink for his room.

Spiteful? Moi?

6 Likes

Oof

I picked a particularly nice shade of green from the colour chart when I was 10, & we had moved back into Chesterfield itself. *

• This was all very traumatic, as it was presented as a fait accompli. Nothing was discussed with children in our house - Brother had to be protected from the Shite of Life etc…

Anyhoo

Mum did the painting, as usual, & it was nothing like the colour on the paint chart, & I mean at least 15 shades away from it.

I knew that there was summat seriously wrong, as I had inherited my Mother’s ability to hold a colour in my head, as had she, from her own Mother. Nothing about anything rang true at that time. She told me that she couldn’t afford the proper paint, & had gone for the nearest colour, which again, was a Whopper. She was, as I later, but not much, realised, having some sort of breakdown, which seguede into the start of MS when I was 12.

Life-changing for us all, but certainly more than abit Shite at the beginning, when I appeared to be the only one who knew.

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

I imagine you might dislike that particular green these days.

4 Likes

Known as the 41st, in this house… :wink:

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

I’m being dense.

4 Likes

There are said to be 40 shades of green in Ireland, Dahlink… :wink:

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Doh! Told you I was being dense. T’ick, in fact. All I was coming up with was ‘George Bush Green’ and thinking that couldn’t possibly work…

4 Likes

Before or after the absinthe gets opened?

4 Likes

She just wanted to get rid of the boys so she could have a laugh with Ian at Lee’s figurines as well as rearrange them without consulting him. Not that she and her lovely friend drew the line at laughing at them to his face. Horrible woman. If she got something right it was by accident.

I could start to slightly like Lee as he didn’t seem to care what they thought.

5 Likes

I admit that my first thought was that she simply wanted not to have the chore of fetching them herself.

But even so: letting them choose the colours of their own rooms! That hasn’t happened since Elizabeth bullied and blandished Phil into letting her choose the tiles for the Brookfield second bathroom that Elizabeth had decided was for her exclusive use.

5 Likes

Yes, I see your point. But I wouldn’t want anyone to think Helen actually had the boys’ interests in mind and I do hope this decision comes back to haunt her in some way, such as Gus suggested.

Didn’t someone, was it Hayley, redecorate Phoebe’s room while she was in South Africa without asking her and she didn’t like it? I think it involved fairy lights. Anyone remember?

5 Likes

Regrettably, Phoebe liked the room decorated for her by Hayley with input from Vicky.

There were fairy lights draped round the headboard of the bed.

Even Jennifer approved of it!

5 Likes

Oh, did she, ah, I remembered that wrong.

4 Likes