Tom's Nuffield Scholarship

Was curious to see if there was any comment anywhere about what seems a very cavalier attitude to his research. I stumbled on this, from when he first applied:

http://www.nuffieldscholar.org/news/nuffield-features-on-the-archers/

I was particularly struck by:

Tom’s past farm business experience, his time managing a pig-unit in Canada and his childhood at Bridge Farm have driven an interest in diversification into producing organic baby food.

Is it just me, or is that a complete non sequitur? I can’t see any logic in the progression at all–still less if you follow it through to his current unsuccess story.

It is rather telling that there seems to be no follow-up to the article.

4 Likes

I thought that it was his sister who drove an interest in diversification into producing organic baby food. She told him he should make it, anyhow. And with Helen, that probably counts as driving. Or perhaps back seat driving…

4 Likes

It is the very definition of the SW’s failings, whereby they dream up an idea, half follow it, presume no-one will actually check up the facts … & then drop it from view.

It’s very poor form.

4 Likes

And makes the Nuffield !took like amateur idiots, instead of a respected organisation.

I could do with a grant me self, fer listening …

Carinthia. xx

3 Likes

Some time in March, Tom is due to head off for a training day on writing his final report, which is due by 31 July.

It’s a bit like Eskimos and snow; Tom needs to find 10,000 words for “failure”

3 Likes

And now they seem to have missed him off the list of scholars presenting papers:

http://www.nuffieldscholar.net/2018-nuffield-farming-conference/presenting-scholars

Not a good year for Bridge Farm, what with the Mankwold malfunction as well. Still, maybe Tom can pick another scholar’s brains:

• David Hichins: Building and leading a successful dairy business from good to great

Though this might be more appropriate:

• William Atkinson: Site Specific Weed Management
3 Likes

I think there’s an ‘h’ missing there.

4 Likes

This is Tom we’re talking about. He probably forgot all about it to concentrate on his Latest Grand Business Scheme. It’s just like the Grundys, only less scammy.

4 Likes

Because of course baby food has now become fermented foods, which by all accounts taste disgusting. I have to agree with Natasha, there are a lot of whims being followed on the farm, and none particularly successfully.

6 Likes

Any business which changes direction five times in ten years is going to find itself in trouble, really.

5 Likes