Was this what the storyline was for?

Was this the intention all along with the ‘Lynda has life-changing injuries’ arc?

oh, you know what, I don’t think I can actually be bothered, except to congratulate TBTB on redefining ‘bad’, which in the context of TA is no mean achievement.

oh, and I do hope Robert had undiagnosed hypotension.

5 Likes

Small glass of Brandy help?

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Notta chance.

A large one might…

5 Likes

Erm

I’ll fetch another bottle from The Cupboard in the cellar…

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Make that a crate from the cellar

I need to drink enough to forget this episode

6 Likes

I take it I need to be well fortified before listening?

Are fake American accents involved at all? (I still shudder at the memory)

5 Likes

It was utterly and abhorrently awful and I never want to discuss it again. Feck.
Soo xx

6 Likes

You will wish they had been.
Yes. Really you will. It was that bad.

5 Likes

Very disappointing. What a missed opportunity. We got the “man or mouse” line, so I was all keyed up, waiting for Robert to meet his end* plummeting from the top the wardrobe. Or maybe Lynda could have got the hanging basket to live up to its name

*In a nicely ironic touch, precisely what Lynda was hoping for

4 Likes
4 Likes

I do love those gels

A cross between Victoria Wood and Joyce Greenfell

5 Likes

Just caught up with the synopsis (I don’t listen to the programme unless I am forced). Seems like classic soap to me: a real but minor problem becomes a major problem because of people’s inability to talk to each other.

4 Likes

Yes, I think that sums it up.

Really, if two people in their seventies who have been married for more than forty years (according to what one of them said on air) can’t communicate – when they have never been unable to, and about everything under the sun – it seems a bit of a poor look-out.

3 Likes

Not sure about that, Fishy
I think that a lot of people bumble along doing just that…

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Yes, but this couple have always been rather good at communicating with each other. Robert in particular has been very good at understanding Lynda. That’s why I find it implausible that he is seeking advice from a woman he really doesn’t know, rather than asking Lynda what she means.

4 Likes

I think (!) it’s supposed to be showing that, after a life changing/near death experience, itizz easy to lose one’s way.

There’s a piece of the jigsaw puzzle missing, & trying to make the picture ‘fit’ takes forever/doesn’t work/makes for rubbish radio in 12 minutes

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

The experience in question being SOC’s tenure?

4 Likes

It seems to me that Lynda being life-changed is reasonable; Robert being so, not as much.

3 Likes

It’s not just them, though. The trend of making every character as unpleasant as possible continues, Robert being a particularly severe—and particularly unlikely—example.

4 Likes

Yes, it is very tedious, isn’t it. So far Chris seems to be coming through without becoming a complete shit, but I am not hopeful this state of affairs will survive his wife’s drink problem and the odious behaviour it seems to bring out in her.

Ed on the other hand is being turned into The Hero – another unlikely thing.

3 Likes