Well, just for a change…

…that was pretty dire.

5 Likes

A bit very. Though I liked hearing that Ben (I think it was Ben?) was eating a crisp sandwich, which made me really really want a crisp sandwich. Haven’t had one for decades.

6 Likes

Is it just me or is Leonard morphing into another Bunter/Plank/Doc Locke generic northern voice?

6 Likes

They do at the very least sound as though they all grew up in the same village. More than can be said for any two who grew up in Ambridge, or even in the same family really.

6 Likes

Very fair comment, TFM

Leonard gives me the boak. Can’t work out which, the voice or the character, is the more of an emetic

6 Likes

He’s kinda both smooth and self-deprecating at the same time, which to me is not a believable combination. Only people who think a lot of themselves are that smooth, or is it just me that thinks that?

5 Likes

Some characters I dislike on principle, but with Leonard it’s visceral. There is an oleaginous (predictive text thought I was aiming for ‘paragon’, then 'gelatinous ') quality to everything he says and does.

PS: Does anyone ever actually say ‘This is the kitchen’ to a sighted guest? Really?

5 Likes

If they’re trying to sell the house, maybe?

5 Likes

I’d make an exception for Susan and Emma Mk II. I will always remember when Emerald O’Hanrahan took over the role, her first scene was with Susan; she sounded exactly like a younger version of her mother. Not just the accent, but the inflection, too. A perfectly judged characterisation. Even more remarkably, she still somehow managed to sound like the original Emma, too.

6 Likes

That, joe, is also fair comment. O’Hanrahan does an excellent job. Nothing but admiration for her. Emma, otoh…

6 Likes

…ah yes, but (…as they say) the Devil is in the details!

Even more difficult when it all turns shouty! Many so-called good actors really don’t do shouty & extreme shouty all that well without relapsing into their native dialect, whereas the good 'uns wear the mantle as if born to it! :wink:

6 Likes

As they are about to open the door?

6 Likes

Very true Joe, I’d forgotten Emma. Emerald O’Hanrahan is quite brilliant as Susan’s daughter.

6 Likes

Yes, I s’pose. Or on radio.

Not Convinced. Pah!

6 Likes

Bet you’re glad they didn’t broadcast the bit where that oleaginous voice said “this is my bedroom”.

6 Likes

Bleurg!. You’re a horrible woman, you.

I CAN BLOODY HEAR IT NOW

6 Likes

[blush] Thank you!

6 Likes

“…where you’ll be spending the rest of your days. Now get to work, woman!

(Does Jill know any decent tuna recipes?)

5 Likes