Well, that was…

…moderately awful.

5 Likes

We were spared the hen night, mostly.

Does anyone have any idea what the point may be of this pre-nup? Will it for instance make sure that Lilian won;t have to shell out for Justin’s debts?

4 Likes

Not a clue. Unless it is a means of it appearing that she will be permanently deprived of the Dower House when something goes horribly wrong.
That can’t be allowed to happen, of course, if only out of compassion for Brian.

‘Moderately awful’ strikes me as the highly restrained comment, considering.

5 Likes

One more fing: Who now holds the stag and hen parties the night before the wedding? Quite apart from the pretty near certainty of everyone being tired and hung over the next day, there are far too many things that could go horribly - even dangerously - wrong, as Jolene knows all too well.

4 Likes

Remind me, joe, why does Jolene know all too well?

4 Likes

Because of Kenton’s misadventures at the hands of Titchynob and Jazzer on Tom’s stag night. She was particularly annoyed because he wasn’t around to interview new staff the next day.

4 Likes

Oh, penny drops! That was such bad story writing that Kenton never held a grudge about that. Worse still, Rob got Kenton hauled over the coals by PC Burns when he, Kenton, retaliated with a practical joke. You’d think he’d be even more against him for that. But no, overwhelmed by Rob’s ‘charm’ evidently. No, I’m not bitter!

4 Likes

For the Fishly-Dunnock stag/hen nights, one of us went to the pub with some very good mates, and the other stopped 'ome.

But then, we are grown ups, and we can go out drinking whenever we want to. I’m not sure people in Ambridge get let out without a keeper.

4 Likes

In fact he did, JJ. Once anyone in Ambridge was allowed to say anything at all against Rob but before he had been exposed in court as a deep-dyed villain, the two who did say anything against him were Will, who disapproved of Rob cheating at cricket and said so to Eddie on 28th September, 2015, and Kenton, who said in front of Rob as he was going in to screw up Ian and Adam’s stag night as far as Ian was concerned, on 13th December, 2015, that he didn’t want anyone putting onto a train out of his pub thank you. “Here’s the trouble-maker. I hope you’re not planning any of your usual stag-night tricks.”

4 Likes

Tagging on, as the title fits so well … the big story was that they decided not to marry but to live over the brush on an on-going basis.

Does anyone, literally anyone, in the Production/Editorial/SW team go home proud after dreaming that one up ?

I do think they’ve plumbed new depths here … and there’s been completion.

3 Likes

There is something rather splendidly futile about hiring a hall and having a large family get-together to announce that you plan to go on living with someone you have been living with for several months already.

3 Likes

The whole non-wedding episode left a really bad taste in my mouth. Lilian is so craven and grateful that she accepts whatever rubbish Justin doles out. What he did was horrendously cruel and controlling. Just days ago she had grovelled and begged to be given a second chance (completely unnecessarily in my view) and he’d ‘graciously’ agreed, then snatched the wedding away from her at the last minute. I’m convinced he did it just to show who has the upper hand in their relationship. It all sounds a bit familiar. If Lilian had any pride she would have been furious at this last minute change and refused to go on with the show and dumped him.

The only possible good thing is the production team might be finally making up its mind that Justin is going to be a bad character instead of all of this flip-flopping.

3 Likes

I thought it was a terrible episode, & I had made an extra effort to listen

Sigh

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

Bad? He’s been absolutely dire from the moment he was recast.

2 Likes

Lilian got it absolutely right when she suggested that he had done what he did in order to humiliate her. I note that it was in front of all her relations that she was made to look a complete fool. Was anyone invited by him? We heard of no such person.

3 Likes

The Archers has become a total load of tiresome bollocks!!!
Pip’s baby & Toby -yawn!
The non- wedding -yawn!
2018 - think I’ll stop listening and read the resumes
Paint dries quicker!

5 Likes

It used to be a programme I enjoyed. Now it is a programme I listen to because I am stubborn.

4 Likes

It does all seem rather unsatisfactory. The non-wedding was about as exciting as the non-move. When will they learn that an anti-climax is not a good way to end a storyline? Or end it for now, at any rate. I still have hopes that people’s eyes will be opened as to what a nasty person Justin is, though they have been amazingly stupid not to have noticed it before. Are we going to have a feeble version of Rob and Helen in Justin and Lilian? My heart sinks rather at the thought of that.

One moment I did enjoy recently was Noluthando being equally nasty back in reaction to Lily’s attempt to patronise her. I wish they had developed that theme a bit more. I’d like Nolly to become a thorn in Lily’s flesh. I find I quite enjoy dislikeable characters going up against each other, I wish there was someone who was equal to Helen. Lily is quite promising, come to think of it. Could she find a way to tell Helen she’s doing everything wrong? And there have been many missed opportunities for Helen and Kate to give each other a taste of their own medicine. They never followed through with Kate voicing the opinion that having a baby by AI and with no partner to dump the child on was a terrible idea. Still, Helen did find her own solution to that, Pat and Tony and occasionally Ian being to her what Roy, Hayley, Jennifer and Betty were for Kate. Oh, and Lucas and his parents, too. All in all it has taken a village to raise Kate’s children; Helen hasn’t quite equalled that yet.

I’m not sure what I’m hoping for with Pip’s pregnancy. They couldn’t be going to give us yet another miscarriage story, could they? Please spare us Ruth empathising with her daughter: ‘I know just how yer feeyul, pet’. If this child is going to be born, I do hope motherhood is a rude awakening by Pip, none of yer ‘transformed by motherhood’ for her if you please. Let Ruth be stroppily uncooperative and Jill go a bit frail.

Hmm … is there anyone in Ambridge I actually wish happiness for in this season of joy? I’ll have a little think, but I may be some time …

6 Likes

into a completely different sort of unpleasant woman.

4 Likes

What had me fizzing for a long time was the invertebrate behaviour towards Linda in the Panto cop-out. I’ve been involved in dramatics at various levels, and if ANY member of a cast had behaved like her, let alone in a tiny community like Ambridge, he / she would have been drummed out - full stop. She has single-handedly destroyed the village panto as an institution in public in so outrageously unprofessional a way that even the audience in the vill hall spotted it, and not ONE of the central and famously outspoken Archers characters stood up to her.

And actually, the SWs have missed a really serious ongoing trick here: if there had been a major showdown, and someone HAD told her to stop and / or drummed her out, the SWs would have had a whole new quiver of Linda SLs for at least two years. Now, it seems that they are terrified of doing anything new with established characters. Thus withers the tree on which the fruit might have hung rich.

5 Likes