Were Matt's remarks to Adam homophobic?

Happy Sigh…

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

Did anyone else think that what Adam said that Matt had said to Adam was not in fact quite what Matt had said to Adam?
And was he lying intentionally or are the scripties just making an early start on the Christmas cheer and a bit muzzy as a result?

5 Likes

It did sound as if he did not report to Ian what Matt actually said. I expect he lied to the police as well.

5 Likes

Something of a tradition in Ambridge, including those oh-so-upstanding pillocks of the community Shula and Neil, both of whom are guilty of perverting the course of justice. David’s professed honesty in insurance matters was nowhere in evidence when he used the inflated claim for the hay theft to buy Pip the car she subsequently wrote off. His determination to throw the book at whoever was spraying graffiti round the village evaporated when one of them turned out to be Josh.

The only one who actually suffered any consequences was Susan, whose situation was rather different since she acted out of fear. The Borsetshire judicial system works on a strict principle of “innocent until proven a Horrobin”.

3 Likes

This playing fast and loose with the law started in autumn 2013 with the constructive dismissal of Kathy followed by the illegal killing of Baz. Susan had the misfortune to commit her crime under the editorship of a person whose dictum was that people always got a comeuppance for crime. The subsequent editor seems not to have been aware what moral behaviour is, let alone legal.

4 Likes

Easy. It’s what losers do.

3 Likes

He doesn’t seem to have been all that great a winner himself. I do very much hope never to see his name again unless it is written on an Archers board and relates to his time as editor of the programme.

3 Likes

An obituary ???

4 Likes

Here’s a suggestion to the BBC: instead of getting someone who thinks he’s on his way up, get someone who’s a bit older, has done their amazing impression-making stuff, and wants something a bit quieter for the next few years.

4 Likes

Someone who respects what the show was, can be again & is determined to recover it without having to stoop to soap-style dramatics.

Oh & someone who would pull la Badger in after about 2 minutes and suggest she finds other work … maybe presenting her with an advert for Christmas staff in ASDA.

3 Likes

“sexuality isn’t entirely a matter of choice - although in many cases there is an element of choice - but if one’s identity is gay, then not being in a position to create children with one’s chosen partner is an intrinsic part of that deal.”

Which in your stated opinion seems to indicate that gay couples should therefore not be allowed to create a family via surrogacy, but then that would also eliminate heterosexual couples where either of the couple cannot reproduce without surrogacy. That seems completely illogical.

5 Likes

Just for the record, it was not Armitage who said that, Henz: he was quoting an earlier post of mine.
What is ‘illogical’ about the statement that if one is exclusively gay, then one is not going to be able to create children with one’s chosen partner?
I don’t think surrogacy should be encouraged at all, you’re right about that, for anyone, gay or straight. It can’t be ‘disallowed’, however, as informal arrangements are impossible to police.

4 Likes

It isn’t “entirely logical”, much of life is not.

I tend to agree with Gus’ general statement and expressed the view that it’s becoming difficult and rare to be able to express a reasonable, if not always mainstream, view these days without the wrath of millions decending upon you. Hence my comment that one of the least liberal sections of society are loud liberals. Dare to disagree with them & see the consequences.

4 Likes

Since this thread has been re-opened I might reply to your comment of October…

It is now clear that the only point of anything Matt did in the last couple of months he was in Ambridge was that he should be rendered odious to as many of the listeners as possible. He got absolutely no benefit from insulting Adam until Adam hit him, any more than he got from telling Tom to try to make Justin pay more for the land; and since when did sharp operator Matt waste his effort on things which did him no good?

Character assassination by editorial team.

4 Likes

Hello Henz, and welcome to the board.

I think you’ve quoted only part of what was actually said, and possibly found it upsetting/annoying/homophobic out of context, so I went back and had a look.

Gus wrote:
I very much dislike the notion of gay couples creating families via surrogacy. Now sexuality isn’t entirely a matter of choice - although in many cases there is an element of choice - but if one’s identity is gay, then not being in a position to create children with one’s chosen partner is an intrinsic part of that deal.
It isn’t that I don’t believe homosexual couples of either sex are necessarily unsuitable parents - I don’t feel the same way at all about gay adoption. It’s the picking and choosing and the as I perceive it ‘vanity’ element in the creation of a child that disturbs me.
(this latter part is the bit Armitage didn’t quote and you may have missed)

and JustJanie wrote in reply:
I find the whole idea of surrogacy a bit disturbing, actually. The high risk of the biological mother changing her mind for a start, then the complicated relationships afterwards.

I am now saying:
I think that the reason for the squeam is not the gay nature of the parents – though someone who is gay, like someone infertile, would until very recently have had no option of having his or her own child with his or her own genetic heritage and his chosen male partner, because neither of them would have been able to bear a child. (As we discovered with his fugue about the child being like his mother, that it was his biological baby was all Ian cared about, and Adam could go piss up a pole. I am not at all sure that they are a gay couple; I think they are two people who are gay and share a house.)

It is about the surrogacy that there is a squeam.

I don’t see that it is illogical to feel squeamish about gay surrogacy, if one also feels squeamish about surrogacy for anybody regardless of sex or gender; I would sat that it is entirely consistent to hold the same view for straight and gay, black and white, male and female, and not in that case illogical at all.

3 Likes

And one has to wonder why. There could have been a great SL in Matt revealing that the reason he did a runner was because he was being pursued by Vitaly & co and wanted to distance himself from Lilian for her own safety. Huge potential with Lilian - already conflicted - having to come to terms with the realisation that she’d misjudged him. What’s more, the drama would grow from the protagonists’ established characters and be a direct continuation of Matt’s last major scene before he was disappeared, when he sacrificed his money for her sake. All of that seems to have been forgotten.

What worries me is the possible reason for the about face. It seems clear that Kim Durham and SOC couldn’t work together; Matt’s reappearance as soon as the latter departed would certainly seem to support that. Now he’s gone again, as abruptly as before - and we know SOC is at something of a loose end. I really hope I’m wrong about this…

5 Likes

Avert.

4 Likes

Welcome, Henz, stick around!

4 Likes

I’m very much afraid that SO’C may reappear. When he left he made it clear that it was unfinished business. I fear he will return to oversee the demise of TA. Gwyneth Williams has made a real pigs ear of r4. The DG should have listened to his family.

4 Likes

I missed that Marj. What did they say ?

4 Likes