What's with Jake…

…“Christoper Robin” Grundy?

3 Likes

Maybe he is fond of his father, and enjoys cricket?

Some people do, I understand.

3 Likes

Well, yes, but don’t you think the SWs are laying it on a bit thick?

3 Likes

Don’t they always? I can forgive them the Father/Son/Bonding/Grand Day Out close to home thing.
What I will not lightly overlook is Justin’s ‘advice’ to Brian and the attendant details. Ewwwwwww. Hideous and wrong in every respect.

3 Likes

Of course they are. They’re not capable of doing anything else.

It’s Naylah Ahmed this week, and she has a tin ear for any sort of nuance.

3 Likes

I think the problem for me is squaring the sub-Blyton “Gosh, Pater, you played spiffingly today” demeanour with Laptop Wars, not wanting to live in bluddy rotten old Ambridge* and hints of custardy battles. The sudden saintliness of Andrew seems a tad bolted on, too.

*Well, OK - that bit I can understand.

4 Likes

In that Andrew was what I believe is popularly known as a ‘dead-beat Dad’ until it suited them for him not to be, because plot, bolted on is exactly what it sodding well is.

In real life I would give Will Grundy an exceedingly wide berth (well, at the moment I’d probably be cooking at the poor sod a bit) but when both his own family and the SWs have it in for him*…

• I should perhaps clarify (ha!) that having Clarrie on your side is a distinct negative, indeed a liability. Stupid woman.
5 Likes

I am hoping that the boy needed a couple of weeks of respite from the perpetual mourning, has decided that the way to get rid of the perpetual mourning is simply to stop it from happening all the time, and is sufficiently fond of his father and siblings to want to stay in boring old Ambridge with them rather than with the sperm-donor and his new wife/partner/whatever she is (whom he knows only slightly because he has visited them occasionally over the past ten years during which he has been living in Ambridge), so long as he can do it without constant reference to his dead mother.

I still want to know why Andrew, a man who does not have children, would saddle himself a three-bedroomed house for occasional visits by the children he has not been living with since 2007. I’d say it was more likely Andrew would take his children out for the day and bring them home to sleep, and not go in for that sort of expense.

4 Likes