Who will be left holding the baby?

Are we detecting some not so subtle hints that Roy and Lexi may find themselves with a child? Or do the writers need a new single dad storyline? The irony of Adam never wanting the child originally, and being the biological parent (of the as yet hypothetical child) is not lost…

4 Likes

I am going to go on hoping that Adam makes his lack of interest so clear that Lexi either decides that living with someone and forcing him to remain celibate for years on end is poor behaviour, or that the children she already has might actually need her.

4 Likes

There does seem to be an awful lot of dumping of children on other people in The Archers. As well as the possibility you mention (and wouldn’t it be delicious if neither Ian nor Adam ended up wanting Lexi’s sprog), we have Pip eager to dump her child on a willing Jill and an unwilling Ruth, Helen managing successfully to do that with both of her children, Kate ditto with her three, Andrew abandoned his (though he seems to want one of them back), Kenton left Meriel and for all his fine words makes very little effort to see her. Other than Poppy, poor little mite, I can’t think of any of the children in Ambridge who were wanted and planned. Even Keira was a bit of a surprise for Ed.

5 Likes

And Ben was a surprise for David and Ruth.

I have a feeling that Lily and Freddie were somewhat of a surprise too, because Elizabeth thought she could no longer have children after her abortion.

3 Likes

Here’s a list of The Archers brats from my trusty spreadsheet in order of age, let me know if I’ve left anyone out. After Josh, they are surprises pretty much all of them. Rowan we don’t know about (she was the child Helen was supposed to be caring for in return for the friend caring for Henwy only the arrangement only ever seemed to work one way). Lexi’s gurrrls who are not on the list (I only know the name of one of them, Violetta) we don’t know about either.

Although, now I come to think of it, were Noluthando and Sipho planned?

Jack
Ethan
Mungo
Poppy
Bethany
Keira
Rowan
Henry
Abbie
Sipho
Mia
George
Jake
Ruairi
Ben
Meriel
Noluthando
Freddie
Lily
Johnny
Phoebe
Josh

3 Likes

And Jake’nMia, we don’t know about them either, do we, if they were planned or not?

4 Likes

Kate?

Planned?

6 Likes

I know, but I dare say Lucas wanted children. And she rather liked the earth mother idea though she wasn’t quite so keen on the motherhood part of it.

5 Likes

Abbie was planned and very much wanted, Henry ditto.

3 Likes

Fair enough. So the surprises are, welcome or unwelcome, are Jack, Ethan, Mungo, Bethany, Keira (surprise for Ed), George, Ruairi, Ben, Meriel (I think), Freddie, Lily, Johnny and Phoebe.

Was Abbie a welcome surprise after they’d given up trying?

4 Likes

And Jamie.

4 Likes

I have my own ideas as to what they ought to give up, all of them.

4 Likes

Abbie was a baby they were trying for.

Jamie was an accident caused by forgetting to take a single contraceptive pill on account of the dateline, or something.

5 Likes

Praise to the attention to detail!
People on this site should advise the scriptwriters!

6 Likes