Why does it matter if Clarrie is upset?

And why would bluddy Ruth be bothered by that anyway? Is Clarrie some kind of protected species? It was she who worked in a food preparation environment with - no point in mincing words here - shit on her hands.

Not that I give a rusty continental bucket about ‘little Milly Robson’ - serves the brat right for whining for icecream, I reckon.

2 Likes

Little Millie Robson will always have a place in my heart, Gus, because she was the cause of me and Carrick-bend imagining the Pony Club people (the poisoning took place at a gymkhana, if you remember) marching on Bridge Farm with lighted torches and pitchforks, singing:

And shall Poor Millie live? Or shall Poor Millie die?
Here’s twenty thousand Pony Folk
Will know the reason why!

2 Likes

Now that is pure trelawning brilliant and I can see why it sticks with you. It happened during a period of Not Listening, so no, the Pony Club connection passed me by, except in the usual and low sense of ‘pony’, and forgive me for mentioning that to a lady like yerself.

3 Likes

I have a feeling that the “Clarrie must not be upset” meme is exuded as a miasma by all the Grundy men without exception, on the basis that if they say it often enough nobody will notice that they all spend their lives doing things and behaving in ways which they know perfectly well will upset her.

Each of them uses it as a way to force each other to do things the other doesn’t want, like Joe compelling Will to be his brother’s best man when his brother married Will’s ex-wife in the church in which Will had married her ten years earlier. The excuse for that sadism was “you not doing it will make Clarrie unhappy”.

(I was never convinced that Clarrie was not infected by Bridge Farm produce rather than being the source of that infection. She happened to be the one who was not already immune to all the horrors of that farm.)

2 Likes

Such as breathing.

3 Likes

Given how quickly and thoroughly she sticks it to people, such as Constable Carpet only seconds before, it’s simply biter bit in my view.

Who, Armitage? I’ve lost track of who we’re discussing!

I’ve no idea.

2 Likes

Honest.
Honest is good. But I do have no idea who you were talking about.

Clarrie. “Clarrie is terribly upset” … Given that she doesn’t give 2 hoots who she upsets once her mouth is put into freewheel why should anyone care that she takes collateral damage in the Ruth/Helen spat ?

Hang on, Armers: Clarrie did nothing to Constable Carpet in yesterday’s episode. In fact she did nothing full stop, because she wasn’t in it except as an unwilling auditor of Ruth’s rudeness about her.

(And why she was at Bridge Farm I can’t imagine: who had she gone there to see?)

Did she not jump on the “why am I excluded from the cricket team ?” bandwagon yesterday and make the useless Cop’s life unnecessarily complicated ?

Nope. Susan did, but not Clarrie, because Clarrie wasn’t in the episode. Clarrie isn’t even in the cast this week.

1 Like

oh, bugger.

Sorry.

Eejit I am.

2 Likes

No you’re not; you are just confused about which of the cast is whom. Most of us are. I thought at first that Usha was being rude to the Vicar, as indeed is her right as his wife.

2 Likes

Obviously they’ve moved the dairy into one of Ambridge’s ambulatory rooms, so that poor fragile Helen can step straight from the kitchen to “work” without getting wet(ter).

2 Likes

Helen and Ruth bumped into each other at Grange Farm since both were unaccountably on an errand to deliver a present to Keira. Why Helen couldn’t send it with Henwy on the day of the party and why Ruth needed to go at all is a mystery to me. Was Ruth trying to curry favour with the Grundys? Unnecessary, I should have thought, as Eddie had already been to Brookfield to apologise for Joe’s words in The Bull (for self-serving motives as he said himself).

Oh, just to add that I’ve read elsewhere that Emma was picking Henwy up from school, hence the delivery by Hellqueen. Ruth’s presence is still inexplicable unless she’s gone back to her old ways of popping up everywhere with spurious errands as her excuse to pry.

1 Like

Oh, was Grange Farm where they were? I got confused by all the stuff about wanting to see Tony and assumed that it was somewhere he might conceivably have been around to be seen. Thanks, JJ.

1 Like

Ruth’s question about Tony being ‘around’ at Bridge Farm sounded very awkward and unnatural. Where else would Tony be but ‘around’ Bridge Farm? He might be leaning over the fencing sobbing over the Anguses or trying to forget by working on the Fordson, but he’d surely be around!

Never mind, the writer did get Ruth’s smug assumption that her presence would be welcome spot on! I have to give Hellqueen points for putting her right there.

1 Like