Why is Lynda re-reading…

To Kill A Mockingbird?

Not that it doesn’t bear re-reading, but isn’t the whole point of La Snell’s current literary obsession that she wants to catch up on all those books she feels she ought to have read but hasn’t?

5 Likes

Ah - just noticed ITSSWA

3 Likes

I wondered about that. But I put it down to Gillian Richmond being a second-rate scriptie (and that really is saying something).

4 Likes

I’ve always thought it overrated.
But yes, why?
Richmond really is The End, isn’t she?

4 Likes

Well, I tried “Go Kill A Nightwatchman” or whatever the prequel was titled, when it first came out (a while ago) and was rather less than impressed, in fact I seem to remember falling asleep several times before I gave up!

4 Likes

Another abandoned SL. She couldn’t cope with Lord of the Rings, so for some incomprehensible reason, Robert suggested she should try The Silmarillion, which got eaten by the dog. I think Crime and Punishment was mentioned, then To Kill A Mockingbird. As far as I can remember that was it. What was the point?

4 Likes

TKAM always seems to me to be rather more revered than it merits.

4 Likes

GSAW turns out to have been the first draft of TKAM, published by her relatives and other parasites taking advantage of Lee’s debiiltated condition.

5 Likes

A previous editor had seen a Sunday Times “10 best books ever” list. This may not explain the point, but it does offer a reason.

5 Likes

Was ‘Porterhouse Blue’ on it ? If not, it’s a fake.

4 Likes

I have no idea, Armers; I never read the Sunday Times, and eschew “10 best” lists like the plague.

3 Likes