Wildlife

Wild ? I bet it was furious.

I posted some weeks ago about a pigeon tjinking our lounge was a tunnel. It happens all to frequently.

I was woken this morning by an almighty smack on the bedroom window.

Looking at it & the shape it realised & put on the breaks, just a little too late. Either that or it’s a bird based “Turin Shroud” on glass.

So Sparrers & 'awks beware.

4 Likes

Shame.

We just once had a hawk (Hedgers knows what sort, I have blanked on it) fly pigeon-first into the French windows onto the stoep, leaving a pigeon-shaped smear on the glass. The pigeon was very dead, the hawk was stunned and sat there for about five minutes plucking feathers from the pigeon in a dazed-looking way, like a cat saying"I meant to do that!" and grooming itself after it falls off a polished table.

2 Likes

Female sparrowhawk, we think.

4 Likes

Definately a sparrowhawk. The grey, rather than brown upper suggests male but I’m not certain.

We have a couple. They catch a pigeon and throttle it whilst looking around to ensure they don’t get attacked . They appear ever so matter of fact about the kill when they do this.that said, looking at the windiw I’m not sure this one took much catching.

3 Likes

Beautiful bird.

One wrote itself off against the Ma’s dining room window a few years back. She was greatly distressed.

[quote=“Fanta, post:3, topic:702”]
like a cat saying"I meant to do that!" and grooming itself after it falls off a polished table.
[/quote]…or when it mistakes a protruding bit of duvet for actual solid bed and rolls over on to it. One daren’t laugh, for fear of Killing Looks and hours of sulking.

3 Likes

I would say it was male, Armers. The females are browner and a lot larger.
Soo xx

3 Likes

We had a sparrowhawk take a collared dove a few years ago. Its mate sat on their usual perch for weeks waiting for it. Very sad.

3 Likes

That is so tragic, Marjorie. Our doves are more, ahem, flighty.
Soo xx

2 Likes

Living on the river now I was woken up a couple of months ago by geese making a terrible rowM- where there were 2 there was now one. The bereaved goose swims up and down the river honking. No need to set an alarm with lonely goose. Let’s hope he finds a mate in the spring.

4 Likes

I live in a relatively urban/rural area, Marjorie and think that the (many) bereaved partners of Sparrowhawk predated birds will move around, so I may not witness their subsequent behaviour.
Let’s hope that they all find happiness in a new season.
Soo xx

2 Likes

Indeed. Lonely goose really needs to move on - there are no spare geese here.

3 Likes

[quote=“Marjorie, post:12, topic:702”]Lonely goose really needs to move on - there are no spare geese here.[/quote]Couldn’t it just have an affair, or a 3 'some ??

3 Likes

Well he did try to hang out with some swans but they gave him the brush off. There are no other geese around - presumably his parents were beguiled by the city lights and didn’t consider the children’s well being.

3 Likes

Oh, this is all so sad. Poor goose, or geese. I am exceedingly fond of geese . On the boat, if I was lazing abed after sun up, they would bang on the side to chivvy me along for breakfast and society.

2 Likes