Catching up with the synopses…

If it works, don’t knock it. Just be very, very afraid.

(a moment’s reflection prompts me to add that it is Jill to whom I am referring. I should be mortified were there to be any confusion on the point)

3 Likes

26 March:

Brian admits to a shocked Ruth that he knew about the waste dumped at Low Mead - only when it was all dredged up.

Huh? This sentence make sense not.

how could Brian going to prison be good for Ruairi?

“Now daddy’s in a school like mine!”

Pat tells Helen she doesn’t know what happened for Olwen to have ended up at the homeless shelter and will just have to wait for Olwen to share her story.

“My life was great until the tractor company I was working for was bankrupted by a lawsuit, after some fool rolled one over on himself and died.”

Jill thinks Shula is avoiding her.

And why not, when all Jill says is “you should get back together with that bloke”?

5 Likes

27 March:

Pat just wishes Tom could also find someone.

What, again? Look how well it went the last two times. Any relationship would be a bit crowded, what with Tom and the Sausage Empire.

Pat’s concerned when Olwen doesn’t show up at the Elms, and worries that her presence might have put Olwen off.

“I would rather freeze on the streets than risk meeting That Woman” – yeah, I could believe it.

3 Likes

And whines about how he would feel about Kirsty being with Another Man. Remind me again who was dumped by whom? And how often? And - last time especially - how publicly?

Well, quite. I would have thought “how did you end up homeless” would be taboo for a volunteer. It is none of your effing business, Pat, so neb out!

3 Likes

Thinking further, it might make sense if the implication were

Pat just wishes Tom could also find someone…

…and get him off their hands.

Ditto, the Independent Dogger.

2 Likes

Does that make Pannetone the Dogger Bank, then?

2 Likes

Damn you! I kept trying to find a way to get that in but couldn’t get it to work :sob:

3 Likes

29 March:

Later [Lexi] tells Roy she has an interview at the chicken factory.

An interview? Yeah, I can see they’re very selective. They took Emma, and haven’t found an excuse to sack her yet.

Kate lectures Jennifer about parental responsibility

That’s basically the major point of this plot, isn’t it? Does that mean it can end now?

30 March:

Will panicked and went home where he washed and fixed up the car.

As you casually do, late at night in a few minutes.

(Jennifer votes for Brian to retire)

You want him hanging around the house all day?

1 April:

Alan announces that the people of Ambridge raised over £600 for his ‘no complaining for Lent’ appeal for
an anti-modern slavery campaign.

“This will be enough to purchase and free a modern slave, whom we will be taking to our hearths here in Ambridge.”

Emma moans

In other news, Emma is still breathing.

4 Likes

2 April:

at the moment Grange Farm is like Hollerton Junction at rush hour

When both the trains are in!

Elizabeth tells [Shula] not to blame herself.

“After all, if I blamed my self for all the ways I’ve messed up my life, I’d just sit in bed all day drinking gin and weeping.”

Jim offers Alistair his spare room

But Shula has moved out.

3 April:

Neil believes Rex has the making of a first rate pig man.

“Or at least some first rate entertainment. We have simple tastes in these parts.”

4 April:

Jennifer’s tired of Brian’s petty, ridiculous behaviour.

“We’re doing our best to destroy everything he’s put his life into (yet again), and he’s holding it against us!”

4 Likes

A minor detai, but SHula had to move back for there to be an awkward atmosphere, because plot and also because the Bull was inundated by relatives coming to frolic at Nic’s obsequies.

4 Likes

Ah. How we larfed.

4 Likes

5 April:

Later, Ed reassures Will that he has forgotten everything they said in the cider shed and suggests that Will do the same.

“Let’s face it, Will, I don’t listen to anything you say even when I’m sober.”

5 Likes

When Will’s in full-on Mummerset mode you could be stone-cold sober when he started speaking and legless by the end of the first word.

3 Likes

6 April:

Alistair suggests that he and Shula have a proper conversation.

As opposed to any time this last twenty years?

but Alistair says that no amount of persuasion is going to change [Shula’s] mind.

“I wasn’t planning to persuade her, dear. I’ve been talking with that nice Mr and Mrs Honour-Killing Ethnic Stereotype in Borchester, and I’m going to explain what her options are now.”

Shula’s mind is made up; it’s now time for some new adventures.

“I’m going to have two lumps of sugar in my tea.”

8 April:

Alistair’s not ready to move on from Shula, but Jazzer’s determined to help get him back on his feet- three bachelors together.

“A bachelor establishment with my father and a Scots drunkard. Where did I put the ketamine?”

4 Likes

Try looking in Jazzer…

3 Likes

I knooooow. I can’t stand Austen either.

4 Likes

Maybe Lynda has the Extra-Heavy Edition which Jill can use as part of a bolas to bring down her fleeing daughter?

5 Likes

9 April:

Lily confronts Ellis and tells him to disappear.

“Bloody 'ell I didn’t know you was 'ere. Sorry m’m, didn’t mean to cause you any unhappiness m’m.”

Emma has been a godsend.

“From Moloch, we think.”

4 Likes

It’s all Molochs, if you ask me.

4 Likes

10 April:

Helen waxes lyrical about cheese-making classes - she’s keen to add yoghurt and ice cream making.

One of these things is not like the others. Ice cream does not involve fermentation (at least I hope not). Why would one put it with yoghurt and cheese?

Pat points out that Helen would do the same for Kaz. Henry likes Olwen and they should give her a chance.

That always works so well in TA. Darrell. Alistair’s gambling-addict mate Ryan.

4 Likes