Knittery and Stitchery and Stuff

Wow

There’s lovely…

Carinthia. xx

3 Likes

MOAR FIRE
:fire:

3 Likes

I’m assuming this is not a strategy for dealing with The Woolstack (just you try it!) but an expression of admiration for

3 Likes

Dubious about the nylon, but I love the colours.

3 Likes

Is 25% Nylon considered high fer socks? I appreciate that some is needed for durability & elasticity, but I don’t know how much or little you could get away with.

Carinthia. xx

3 Likes

25% is quite usual, and less may not be strong/durable enough, I think.

https://www.knittingparadise.com/threads/percentage-of-nylon-content-in-sock-yarn.310545/

3 Likes

How do you knit with a large healthy Bengalon your lap which has 13" of a circular knit Shetland wool on your lap and said Bengal finds it nice and warm for a post prandial nap?

1 Like

Having been irritated several times by yarn taken from the centre of the ball becoming tangled as it got less and less left, I crossly thrust the most recent Bamboo Soft culprit inside a knitted fingerless mitt. This worked: the ball got to within three feet of the end without tangling.

So I have knitted a pair of yarn-cosies out of the ends of old balls of yarn: one is red, the other is Subtle Drifter, and they are tubes about the size of the mitts but without the thumbs. And they seem to work. Now embarked on one for a 100g ball, to be in stripes of various colours of leftover.

5 Likes

A practical solution to an annoying problem, Fishy.

Carinthia. xx

5 Likes

Also useful as cosies for one of joe’s flock’s giant eggses.

5 Likes

More socks.

Yarn colourway is ‘Woodpigeon’, hence the turned-in toes.

6 Likes

Fabulous colours, Dahlink

Carinthia. xx

5 Likes

Beautiful colours but…

if the dark flecks in your fruity socks are pips, I dread to think what the white flecks in your pigeon socks might be.

5 Likes

Curled-up flight fevvers.

5 Likes

I hate it when I get eight rows up the toe of a sock, with all the fiddly increases,and then discover a dropped stitch which has escaped clean through the Turkish cast-on and cannot possibly be retrieved even if I hadn’t somehow also managed to cast on one extra somewhere so that there were the right number of stitches on the needle…

Ribbit ribbit.

4 Likes

I know Frod-all about Turkish, or indeed any casting on, but it all sounds most annoying.

Carinthia. xx

4 Likes

A Turkish cast-on is the cunning sort for the toe of a sock, which makes it look as if the knitting just goes on all the way across so that there is no seam for the toe. The opposite, as it were, is a Kitchener Stitch cast-off which involves sewing through the remaining fourteen stitches on each needle at the bottom of the heel in a cunning order, so that doesn’t have a seam and looks as if the knitting were continuous from one side to the other, as it were.

So if a stitch gets dropped near a Turkish cast-on it can make a ladder in the knitting all the way down one side of the toe and up the other, if it sets its horrid little mind to it.

5 Likes

How very unsporting ovvit…

Carinthia. xx

5 Likes

Rude Words were employed, I have to admit.

5 Likes

Quite restrained in the circumstances, I thought.

5 Likes