Latest Ambridge Observer

That’s a terrible slur on Georgette Heyer.

4 Likes
5 Likes

The green ink was a nice touch

4 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

Love Aunty Satya’s reply to Pip.

4 Likes

The first item is sheer genius.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Wipes eyes

‘Shiny Beige’

Priceless…

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

“Competitive Bulls who wear uniform to work will have fun this week …” … ooo’er T’Wellsie ! :drooling_face::astonished:

4 Likes

Another good 'un

2 Likes

Wrapped in a big yellow bow, here’s the Easter Observer. Brian is wrapped in lilac…

5 Likes
4 Likes

Glorious!

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

She is really very good, but…

If she is reading it, wouldn’t Lynda know the difference between Chaucer and the Gawain (possibly Pearl) poet? the dialects are so different that they might as well be different languages, and while I can read Chaucer without a glossary, Gawain is furrin enough for me to need one.

3 Likes

I despise the use of “þ” for “p” when you want to look Old English, just as I despise the use of “Я” for “R” when you want to look Russian.

4 Likes

I see your point, dere Hedgers, truly I do, but I think Ms Michael has given us enough weekly amusement for that usage - in the case of a first offence - to be more tutted at than actually depised.
When I want to look Russian, dahlink, I wear a shabka. I did once have a rather wonderful selection of badges from a SCR course I did way back in the late Middle Ages but they have tragically - gorn I kno not where.

4 Likes

Oh, so can I: but I feel it is a bit like the bagpipes and that a lady is one who can, but refrains or at least does it in a sound-proofed room :wink: .

3 Likes

You have caused me to look for my copy,Fishy, & I can’t find it !

It was in a strong dialect, wasn’t it, & I can’t remember which ?

Gawds

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

If you mean Gawain, dear Chatelaine, it’s from round Chester-way originally, I think. Chaucer was London dialect, and London won the fight to become English. This is why being from the North West (or even the North East) does help with Gawain: more of the words are still current there than in say Kent.

Thorn, þ, is pronounced “th” not “p”, and yogh, ȝ, is like the ch in “loch”, not a z or s noise; as for sticking z all over the place, fie.

Gus, at the time Chaucer was writing the chances are most people would still have been reading aloud, like monks buzzing gently in a monastery. I forget who it was at about that time who was considered remarkable because he could read without moving his lips. Possibly Richard II; I am fairly sure John of Gaunt couldn’t. Maybe it was Henry V, who managed it while on a campaign when he got a letter from his father.

4 Likes