Masterchef (of limited interest, probably)

Torode gets ever worse with the mangled grammar; but also tonight we had ‘sweet sugar’ and ‘hot chilli’ - give the lad an OSBO (Order of Stating the Bleedin’ Obvious).

Also, that Jan-Paul is a creepy f**ker.

5 Likes

I couldn’t watch it this evening - too many dubious looking yeller sauces… :wink:, & yes he is creepy…

Shudder

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

No spoilers please

I have it on Sky downloaded and will catch up after my filthy pleasure is finished (Married at First sight Australia)

3 Likes

No spoilers here; I’ve never seen the thing. I did read an interesting article a few years ago suggesting that competitive barbecue (yes, it’s a thing) had gone down a rabbit-hole: because the judges take only one bite of each thing, the winners are the ones that optimise for loading as much flavour into the first bite as possible, to the point that you might well not want to eat a second bite of it. So like F1 racing it becomes increasingly divorced from the parent activity…

4 Likes

Yup! A far cry from the F&P or indeed the WI… First read about it in The Man Who Ate Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten. Should anyone fear they are becoming a little obsessive about something, reading this book would do a lot to reassure them that they are in fact Perfectly Normal.
And it is very interesting anyway, though the authorial voice did get on my nerves at times. About 10 microGills or 1 microCohen (G, not A)

4 Likes

Were I sensitive about spoilers, which I am not, I would probably think twice about opening a thread relating to the programme I had not yet caught up with.

Also, I thought the ‘rule’ was that once something has been broadcast, its contents are technically no longer categorised as spoilers. Since I have no way of knowing your personal TV viewing schedule, I intend to stick to this rule.
Read at your own risk.

5 Likes

Fairy Snuff dear limpet

I will avoid this thread till I am catched up

As to BBQ I cook on mine to ensure folk look for more not just a single bite

4 Likes

That reminds me, it’s spring, I’d better make sure the fairy-snuffers are ready to hand.

5 Likes

Yes the wicked wee things have a nasty bite if not snuffed when small

5 Likes

Well bugger me sideways. I don’t think I have ever seen two such unappealing plates of food (from the same contestant) in a quarter final before.

Spoiler

But yay! The creepy fucker has gone. And for serving up a plate looking like turd and bogroll, he bloody well deserved to.

second spoiler

Basil, mint and tarragon all together? No technique, of which she had a LOT, can compensate for such a warped palate. And maybe the warpedness of the palate explains the irritating quality of the voice.

Also, too much effing coconut around these days, and I am beginning to twitch dangerously at the sight of pineapple.

One of tonight’s two is a finalist. Bet you half a dollar.

3 Likes

I will have to watch it on the iPlodder

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

Have a colour-co-ordinated bucket to hand, Darling.

3 Likes

I took your advice, Dahlink

Having an :wine_glass:now, to recover

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

Very wise. Get some rest, please. The coconuts will get you else.
Gxx

3 Likes

Quite a different format tonight for the first semi-final challenge, and I think it’s an improvement.

Three should have gone (but they clearly didn’t want to lose the spectacularly good one whose disregard for timings and failure to communicate with the others on his section made them look bad).

What she cooks is evidently very good but Radha’s is a face I would never tire of punching, and the ingenue act is wearing a bit thin: in a pig’s eye was that pudding course she put out in an earlier round the first time she’d done desserts. She’s an ootsie cutsie little liar. Gregggg’s tongue hanging out about her is also painfully obvious.

Yay! for Ioan and Sarah. Very taken with them. Really fed up with Thomas for dreadful behaviour - see first para.

3 Likes

Managed to watch it tonight, & I do agree with you, Dahlink.

Did you cope with the confit eggs? :wink:
Hands Gus an small colour-coordinated bucket…

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

One couldn’t see the narsty orange bit, so yes, I did cope, ta. Unlike the ones in Farok’s mushroomy foresty thing last week, which did give me the heaves, a bit. But the scallop/prawn scotch egg with undercooked egg - bleugh. Just give me the asparagus and the mimosa beurre blanc (sauce Maltaise works with it, so I imagine that would too).
Gxx

3 Likes

omg, I would absolutely swoffle that pear with the gorgonzola cheesecake (sorry, Carinthia). He can feck off with the ice-cream, though, not that anyone objected.

Sad to see Olayemi go, but she was a bit one-note and lacked finesse so probably had got as far as she was going.
Ioan was lucky; that plate looked altogether too gloopy to be appealing.
Pookie, for whom I have had a high tolerance so far and whose goldfish dumplings were a work of genius, is now getting VERY EFFING ANNOYING. Pookieland? Lady, you can sod right off.
Sarah done good. I thought the presentation was fine, too; but I now doubt she will make the final three, dammit.
And the praise for the ‘style’ of Radha’s thing? If she were 20 years older and three stone heftier, they would have been ‘meh’. Presentation main point a blatant steal from the previous round, the biscuit soldier totally out of scale with the egg and, frankly, not much real skill on show. I might be a tiny bit biased. But if she doesn’t can the ‘I’m just an ickle girlie but the gwone-ups wuv my food’ schtick I will have to kill her.
My current bet is Eddie, Pookie and Ioan in the last round. If Radha gets there - well, see above.

3 Likes

I will have to catch up on iPlodder as I have been interrupted by 'phone calls both last night & tonight

Sigh

I really like Ioan, & wish that the women wouldn’ t posture

Pooky did blue rice with the confit egg yolks, & the more I see, I don’t ever fancy blue food - Bluddy Bake Off take note too… :wink:

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

My brother once gave a dinner to his friends at university, in imitation of Cruella de Vil’s dinner in The Hundred and One Dalmatians, only without the pepper. None of them wanted to eat the meat he had dyed blue; he had to give another party, for different people and by candlelight, to use it up.

2 Likes