On the Juke-Box Today

For no other reason than it popped up on shuffle in the car just now…

1 Like

Definitely hauriant.

I’ve probably posted this before but I don’t care.

2 Likes

Not exactly the jukebox, but…

Sorcha Ní Scollaí - the newly-crowned Under 12 All-Ireland Uilleann Pipes Champion

(Seeing this, I can only ask what hope there is for us mere mortals…)

3 Likes

Urgle.
Chapeau.
Brava!

3 Likes

Forra Fishly Birthday. (The Fish knows why.)

4 Likes

Once again, no reason other than it popped up on shuffle today and I was reminded just how good it is:

3 Likes

The Enid. Like Tangerine Dream & Camel … put on, long tracks, believe you’re really quite superior to your mates buying things by The Sweet, or Mud.

… & you’re right.

4 Likes

A shame that particular incarnation fell apart; Joe was—is—an amazing singer. First time I met him he was most amused at the fact that the last time I’d seen the band was before he was born…

3 Likes

And while I’m in that sort of mood…

4 Likes

Love it. BJH were something of an institution at our school. It divided the know nowts from the wise & sensitive.

The first band I saw live. Manchester Free Trade Hall, in 1971.

3 Likes

And of course…

1 Like

Nice track, though, generally Caravan, like much of the Canterbury Scene, were a bit too jazzy for me.

3 Likes

and also

plus

5 Likes

Much missed. Met him at Cambridge Folk Festival many moons ago - a delightful individual and a stunning player. Will never forget seeing Martin Carthy sneak out from backstage during Guillory’s set, watch intently for a few minutes, give a resigned shrug, then wander off, scratching his head.

4 Likes

I once met, in a group of us, Jeff Beck. He said that if he’d heard Jimi Hendrix whilst learning to play he’d have stopped immediately.

5 Likes

When The Observer “Experts’ Expert” series featured lead guitarists, Beck was pretty much the unanimous choice. Not hard to see why - there seems to be no style he can’t assimilate and master. F’rinstance…(Don’t worry Armers, I’ll spare you the jazzy stuff :wink: )

BTW I am not responsible for the mis-spelling of the title!

4 Likes

Yes. I’ve seen that too. But, tbqh I don’t understand it. He has all the ability, except to make things interesting. Sacrilege I know, but I am never, ever gripped by him.

I didn’t tell him this, btw.

5 Likes

Just remembered that I actually met Isaac Guillory twice. Second time was at a mini folk festival in Ipswich. I was there manning a stall for the music shop I worked for. There was a session on the final night, so there I was, banjo in hand, having a great time. Next thing I know, a rather good guitarist joins in.

I finished the set of tunes, turned round to say hello - and there was Isaac. Says something for how unassuming he was that I could actually have forgotten.

4 Likes

Another day, another artiste:

(and the writer of the song, Richard Thompson, is in the backing group)

2 Likes