On the Juke-Box Today

Great one, too, Hedgers. If you don’t know it, see if you can unearth her recording of Les Barker’s Sudden Waves. Not what one normally associates with Barker - and a strong contender for the finest recording Tabor’s made. It’s on Angel Tiger and the Anthology, IIRC

AHA!

3 Likes

I bluddy love this thread. And this place- huge thanks to our hosts.
The Mississippi Summer I had encountered but only realised when I clicked, and was very happy to encounter again, Sudden Waves, I had not. mmmm. aye. That’s the business all right.

4 Likes

The whole LP Freedom and Rain with The Oyster Band is good, and I liked it enough to have it as one of the half-dozen in the car for quite a long time; so is the second one she did with them, Ragged Kingdom,but I am taking a while to have it as a must-play for that particular mood. The third, live album with The Oyster Band I haven’t yet really got into at all, I’m not sure why. I went off into Melissa Etheridge about then, having just come across her very late, and it sort of got lost in the rush.

I would have sworn that I had Angel Tiger on cassette, or even on CD, but it doesn’t seem to have made it onto the server. Thank you, Joe.

1 Like

Going to the server has led to my playing the Incredible String Band’s The 5000 Spirits or the Layers of the Onion.

1 Like

Another superb album: Norma Waterson’s The Very Thought Of You

3 Likes

And thanks to CG’s reminder, I’ve just revisited The Hedgehog’s Song.

No - not that one

2 Likes

She’s always around, Joe.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that have been a far more appropriate way for Tom & Kirsty’s wedding to have (not) gone?

3 Likes

Oh, it would have been lovely, except it would have been Kirsty who listened to a hedgehog.

3 Likes

Is that in any way like The Hippopotamus Song ??

4 Likes

Not really, Armers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bogz2xZy-bo

3 Likes

It would have to be - Tom never listens to anyone.

4 Likes

Well, today was a Maria Muldaur day.

Famed for Midnight at the Oasis, a little like Jeff Beck with Hi-Ho Silver Lining, that nice pop song doesn’t reflect her real work at all.

This is her version of Mississippi John Hurt’s 'Richland Woman Blues".

I played this whilst watching the guys finish my drive. I’m not sure they were on its wavelength. (The drive is lovely though. If i can I’ll post a piccie).

Tomorrow & Friday morning its the new boiler and 11 rads.

3 Likes

I was reminded yesterday of one of my very, very favourite guitar twangers … Paul Kossoff, of Free (& solo work, & son of David Kossoff … teller of Bible Tales in the 1960-70’s).

He passed away in 1976 after many years of heavy drug abuse. He was the subject of the Free single “Wishing Well”. He joined Free in 1969 aged only 17. After they let him go he did some solo work and a lot of bits & bats, not least working with Glasgow blues singer Maggie Bell who did what she could to get him clean. Her versions, with him and later without, of Wishing Well are very impressive.

His guitaring is really rather special and I have been reminding myself of it for many of the past hours.

By the way, regarding Miss Bell, try to find her version, with Long John Baldry, of the Leadbelly classic “Black Girl (In the Pines)”. Truly great.

3 Likes

Someone recently sent me this:

2 Likes

I find that I prefer Richard Thompson’s own version, more raw, or perhaps less tidy; it fits the subject matter and the bike better, for me.

(All we had was a Rapide series B which had been out in India for twenty years and came home to Brighton at the beginning of the seventies. Oh well.)

1 Like

First up, I should explain that I am seventy later this year. As such, this may serve to explain some of my musical choices.

I always say that I have a catholic taste in music, liking a wide range of genres. I was brought up in household where the radio was often on. Even at bedtime, my sister and I were allowed to listen to Radio Luxembourg by our Mother. Saturday mornings were always ‘Children’s Favourites’ with Uncle Mac. Further, when Rock n Roll began to have an impact, we were allowed to watch ’ 6:5 Special’ and ‘Oh Boy’ on TV. Layered into this was School where, we were introduced to classical music.

So, everything from Punk Rock/Heavy Metal to Classical Music or, the other way round if you prefer. Interspersed into that will be many other musical forms, Jazz, Opera, Big Bands, Folk and Acoustic, Blues and any other genre you choose to name.

At present, there are three streams to my listening: In terms of Classical Karl Jenkins’ The Armed Man’ is getting a lot of full length plays, I’m also into Rag n Bone
Man with his tremendous baritone delivering tracks leaning towards Blues and Soul. Finally, my iPod is set on my Folk and Acoustic playlist. When this changes, who can say!

4 Likes

Wilkommen, bienvenu and all that, Brian.

I think I’d describe my musical taste as being ‘eclectic but with Allergies’. If you want to get rid of me, Motown is a good bet ;- )

3 Likes

But then, Motown is a pretty broad category. Not generally a favourite for me, either, but a world without I’ll Be There or Songs In The Key Of Life would be the poorer.

3 Likes

Hello Brian, and welcome to the board!

I agree with Joe that there is some Motown which is worth having, just as there is some punk and some bubblegum, but I wouldn’t really put any of those categories high on my list of music that I listen to.

But then I probably wouldn’t have said that country was a favourite, and yet I spent quite a lot of yesterday listening to Steve Earle and Johnny Cash.

2 Likes