Ouch bluddy weather

As the temperature was a dizzying 5C I went out to sniff fresh air on the drive

What I thought was water was more like Torville and Dean’s preferred habitat so I fell flat on my back

I now have a bruised rump and ribcage
Whimper

7 Likes

Ouch indeed. Poor Twellers. Have you got ibuprofen gel or voltarol gel (assuming these are not contraindicated for you)?

6 Likes

Buggrit.

6 Likes

Ouch! I hope that it heals more quickly than the results of my slide on wet tiles in the bathroom before Christmas have done!

7 Likes

I may resort to quinine and juniper as pain relief

With my screwmatics gel rubbed in by the Bull

I must have looked elegant on hands and knees to get to a wall to hold onto while I got upright

6 Likes

Pore Twellsy!

We have had a lot of skitey bits, round here. I am not walking out much at all.

Soo xx

5 Likes

It’s the treachery of it being in one’s own house or garden that’s so bluddy annoying.

5 Likes

When we moved in here the neighbours said “oh, it hardly ever snows”. First two winters, guess what happened. And that’s why the ladder lives in the garage, for climbing up the drive when it’s covered with white slippery stuff.

6 Likes

Wellllll – that and it wouldn’t fit anywhere else.

6 Likes

Not even any part of said neighbours’ anatomy?

5 Likes

Ouch, poor Twellsy. And I hope Fanta’s wounds have healed in the meantime. That thin layer of ice, that’s what does it. It’s almost invisible. We get that a lot here, hate it. You’re walking along with the pavements dry and clear until you come to the part at the bottom of someone’s driveway and it’s as Twellsy says, a skating rink.

Smugly, I can attest that I’ve chipped the ice away from our bit. When we lived in Cambridge, Massachusetts, householders were required to clear the sidewalk (pavement) in front of their houses or they got a fine. Here in Ottawa it’s the city’s job but still, you don’t want people injuring themselves in front of your house, do you? Might frighten the cat.

7 Likes

The rules can be a bit dodgy. In the UK (at least, when I lived there, 30+ years ago) if you swept in front of your door you could be liable for any damages because it was technically you who had left it in a dangerous state. If you left it, it was the council’s responsibility.

5 Likes

I think that’s still the case, joe. Our drive was set with Tegula and doesn’t freeze over. The paths in front of our house and the roads throughout our estate are ruddy lethal in winter. Snow is no problem. Black ice is horrible.
Fuzzy hugs, Twellsy and Fishers.
Soo xx

4 Likes

I don’t think there were ever any prosecutions, though, were there?

5 Likes

As I said, that was then. I left in 1988 - before the “no win, no fee” system. I suspect people are a lot more litigious now.

4 Likes

Indeed. On the other hand, many cats enjoy watching the traditional winter diversion of ten-neighbour bowling.

Eight out of ten cats, however, feel that Curling has been mis-sold and is A Big Swizz.

6 Likes

Don’t let him see this. The squeak ovvit!

Soo xx

6 Likes

Hee! Excellent, Soo.

I regard any activity where one is inveigled into wielding a br##m with deep suspicion.
Gxx

5 Likes

We clear our sloping (1 in 6) drive with a dustpan; it’s the easiest weapon for the job, if you are starting at the bottom.

5 Likes

Only ‘cos our ridiculous laws prevent me from usin’ a flamethrower.

6 Likes