Perfect PA

The return of Anthea?

5 Likes

You have no idea how cross that would make me. She was ill conceived, poorly written and imo acted as an object lesson in how not to do it. Act, that is. Oh, and if the social secretary side of things is important, she is distinctly not PLO.

4 Likes

But she’d be ideal from Fagash’s pov. The alternative is Brenda, and I can’t see her approving her appointment.

2 Likes

People have been speculating about Anthea for a while in various places.

I’m pretty much with Gus about her. She put my teeth on edge like something grating on a blackboard.

5 Likes

I don’t disagree, but as I said this is _Lilian’_s candidate; she doesn’t want anyone charming or attractive.

5 Likes

But with the social sec. dimension she would want someone PLO, which rules out Anthea and Brenda and (have seen speculation elsewhere) Kirsty too.

Oooh, talking of PLO, which is the Fatah, Brenda (who is a gurt healthy thundering yokel with open pores, treetrunk legs and a positively enormous arse; the voice confirmed it) or Anthea, who over the years has had just a few too many Twixes, Snickers and Bounties over her Word Puzzles For Morons and TV for the Hard-of-Thinking magazines in her carefully self-policed 15-min breaks?

3 Likes

I’m assuming you don’t mean the Palestine Liberation Organisation, so what does PLO stand for, please?

(Publicity Liaison Officer doesn’t fit either…)

1 Like

People Like Oneself. No one PLO uses PLU…

4 Likes

Oh, I see: the opposite of NROKD. Thanks.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t dream of blaming you if it happens Joe. That would be particularly mean since I suggested it myself elsethread (a spoilers thread).

But speculative People Elsewhere seem to view the prospect with glee. I do not.

4 Likes

Is the “D” “Dear”? The rest I get, but since I had to work it out, I must be in that class.

2 Likes

Darling.

There are lots and lots of these sets of initials for “I don’t like him”.

3 Likes

That’s why we’re Here and not There innit? (Yeah, I know some are Both.) Gawd knows I tried…

3 Likes

As the teenage websites tend to say, LMFAO.

3 Likes

I have come across instances of Guards regiments transferring junior officers to the Infantry of the Line for being NQAG (not quite a gentleman).

3 Likes

Nowadays, or in the past? I would assume that these days they don’t select the not-gentlemen in the first place unless they want them. You don’t always get the regiment you asked for, after all.

4 Likes

That was in the past, sorry to be unclear, when Wislon as PM was trying to loosen things up a bit. It meant for a while that regiments had officers pushed their way (grammar school, say) whom they wouldn’t have taken before. The earlier exclusiveness (and racism) had led to 1960s dunder-headed dimwittery and something had to be done. But it meant that the ‘new’ officers had to watch themselves, including making sure they didn’t run up Mess bills they couldn’t pay, go out drinking nightly with the guardsmen, or loudly proclaim their brother officers to be “exquisites” as a friend of mine did.

Things are very different now, and there are guardsmen with degrees. I know of people who started as guardsmen and worked their up to Lieutenant-Colonel. In the 1950s-60s commissions in the Guards were not available to guardsmen. It’s still very different to the other services but much more like the rest of the Army. Port hasn’t been abolished but a lot more people get to drink it. And junior officers are not stung for thousands of pounds to buy bespoke suits in Savile Row or face the wrath of the Adjutant.

1 Like

We won’t talk about that, please. Not on the open board. Edit it out?

That’s why I named no names. OK I’ll do it. Done. Very civilised.

3 Likes

Thanks.

3 Likes