Perverts (culinary)

Pass yer plate, then, missus. It’s not bad at all, though I say it myself as shouldn’t.

2 Likes

_______/<---- Me plate

Thank-you

Carinthia.xx

2 Likes

There you go. Hope that’s enough butter - help yourself to more if not.

2 Likes

Happy Sigh

Carinthia.xx

1 Like

I understand that there are people who eat margarine instead of butter, but I don’t understand them.

May I refer you to the title of this thread, Fanta. The savages you mention fall within the category, I think.

My father had a brief flirtation with Flora (not like that) as he convinced himself that it was better for him. A combination of ridicule and butter-envy soon put a stop to the foolishness.

3 Likes

My Father, The Irish Charmer, wouldn’t go near Flora or anyone else, & put butter on everything, including Christmas Cake & the top of Boiled Eggs

I noticed last year that the Irish cousin with whom I stayed could easily get through a large packet of butter per day , with 5 in the house for breakfast & then 3 ‘grazing’ all day - it’s a working farm, & lots of small snacks are consumed.

My Mother used to mix butter with margarine for baking sometimes- indeed a fruit cake could be made if the butter was ‘reasty’, as the slightly sour taste wouldn’t be noticed

Unsalted butter used to be very much more expensive than the ornery stuff, & was saved for making an ersatz cream, or buttercream

Carinthia.xx

2 Likes

My mother went and found out (in the days well before you could just google) what was actually in margarine and how it was processed. Then she told us why she was paying rather more for butter. We didn’t argue because we preferred the taste of butter.

I have always wondered how they ever found anyone to assert with any truth that they were unable to tell margarine from butter: what did they give them to eat just beforehand?

2 Likes

Indeed, FantaFish

We did like to know what we were eating, & where it came from , as indeed, we still do

Carinthia.xx

1 Like

At some point in my childhood butter was declared Bad and Evil and we had margarine instead, which was declared Just As Nice. When I moved out on my own I got the chance to taste butter again, and it actually tasted of something. (Ditto whole milk rather than skimmed, which always tastes sour to me.)

Going back to the thread title, a mix of muesli and cornflakes seems to suit my current tastes quite well.

3 Likes

Oooh, ‘ersatz cream’, that’s reminded me. My parents acquired a cream maker, a plastic jug with a top section that was a sort of pump that forced a mixture of milk and melted unsalted butter through a tiny hole, thus turning the mixture back into cream. It even worked, sometimes. Used to be one of my kitchen jobs when I was a relatively small Gus.
A very 1970s sort of gadget. Whether the saving achieved by using milk and butter was significant in comparison with the price of cream, I couldn’t say.

4 Likes

It was a lot easier to make butter from cream - by accident. A large tub of cream would turn into about a spoonful of butter if you weren’t careful. And used an electric mixer.

2 Likes

Chortle (sorry). I rather like using a balloon whisk. Not for meringue, though - that is sheer masochism.
There was an in-between way. Ma had beaters that whizzed round as you turned a handle on a wheel. Very easy to knock the bowl off the worktop when using it, as I discovered.

3 Likes

My Mother did too, & it worked very well

Milk& butter were always in the house. Cream, called properly ’ Fresh Cream ’ was really a treat purchased for very special occasions, & came in tiny cartons

There was also Tinned Cream, which required a lot of shaking, to thicken it

We didn’t have Condensed Milk, or Evaporated Milk (also tinned), because my mother didn’t like it

I have had Evaporated Milk, & survived (just), but the smell of Condensed turns me over, although I appreciate it can be used for baking

Carinthia.xx

1 Like

The only real use for condensed milk is to eat it out of the tin; make a hole at either side of the top using one of the old-fashioned tin-openers which makes a triangular hole, and suck it out over the course of an afternoon while reading a new Saint book. If you insist you can take the lid off completely when there is about an inch left at the bottom of the tin, and then leave it in the salad drawer of the fridge and forget it for a week, at the end of which it has turned into white toffee, more or less.

(There have been no new Saint books since 1963, because I don’t count the ones written by other people than Leslie Charteris.)

Speaking of culinary perversions, marmite mixed with honey on white bread-and-butter is surprisingly good.

Also marmite and cheddar on white-bread-and-butter. Adjust ratio to taste.

1 Like

Just received an unsolicited testimonial. When I make bread I do a loaf for my neighbour too. She has a small grandson who is a spoilt brat an exceedingly picky eater. They both just turned up on my doorstep, with neighbour brandishing the remains of the loaf that he had picked up and been biting at like cake. This, apparently, after he’d scarfed a couple of slices buttered.

I think that counts as a satisfied customer, albeit one slightly in need of a clip round the ear.

2 Likes

Marmite, with or without Cheddar, but always with thick slices of cucumber.

1 Like

So long as you like cucumber rather than regarding it as a rather expensive way to spoil a short drink of water, obviously.

1 Like

Now there’s a perverse idea. I’ll have to try it.

2 Likes