Perverts (culinary)

Thank you so much for sending me into a steep decline. My Ma had the foolish notion that marmite and cucumber sandwiches were a good idea.

They are not.

2 Likes

Tagging on with a small, but perfectly formed Heaveā€¦

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

Well Gus, at Boarding School we used to have marmite and jam sarnies, canā€™t think why but we used to love them, it sounds pretty disgusting now !!

3 Likes

Iā€™d be prepared to try one of those, your ladyship, sort of. I doubt I would like it now but probably would have during the middle phases of me skool career.

OK, I see your marmite and jam and raise you sardine and banana. No, Iā€™m not making it up.

And thus it was that the Ambridge Reporter Synchronised Heaving Team was formed, under the able captainship of Our Carinthiaā€¦

4 Likes

It was Wodehouse who thought of the bread-and-brown-bootpolish sandwich, I seem to recall.

4 Likes

ā€œI remember, three years ago, when Wainā€™s won the rugger cup, we got up and fed at about two in the morning. All sorts of luxuries. Sardines on sugar-biscuits. Iā€™ve got the taste in my mouth still. Do you remember Macpherson? Left a couple of years ago. His food ran out, so he spread brown-boot polish on bread, and ate that. Got through a slice, too. Wonderful chap!ā€ ā€” from Mike at Wrykin

4 Likes

Thanks, Hedgers!

1 Like

My mother once had sardines on chocolate biscuits when visiting our Auntie May who was at teachers college.

2 Likes

Ok, Heavers

Stand byā€¦

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Panic?

3 Likes

We could well be Synchronised Snorkers & Heavers given a bit of time to practiseā€¦

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Ewwwww ā€¦ You win !!! Iā€™m not sure there is anything to tempt me to try the sardines and banana offering but I will join the Heavers Club if I qualify :grinning:

3 Likes

Donā€™t blame me, blame my Auntie Maria. An excellent woman and generally an excellent cook. Where the sardine and banana idea came to her from baffles me.
I didnā€™t know my Pa could go that shade of green. Slightly paler than your rondel, milady, but only slightly.

3 Likes

Blimey, what is it about Aunties of the generally Mary-type name? As you will see up thread, the inventor of the sardine on, I repeat on, chocolate biscuits was my Auntie May (she was really Mary but I had two other Auntie Marys, Aunty Holy Mary and Aunty Bloody Mary so a compromise had to be made).

4 Likes

I am trying to remember who it was who recommended sardines with marmalade, on toast, to me, but I donā€™t think her name was Mary. or possibly his name.

4 Likes

Itā€™s the unmarked grave that is your problem there, Fanta ā€¦

4 Likes

A world-record-contender Snork has just been registered in Sarf-East Lunnon. just sayinā€™

4 Likes

I know, Gus, I know. I should have been more careful.

1 Like

Still promoting the marmite cheese cucumber combo. Bananas mashed, topped with crisp, grilled bacon. Game, set and match.

1 Like

Bacon on banana I sort of get. Itā€™s academic these days, me being veggie, but I can see it might work. Can think of better things to do with bacon, though. It (streaky, smoked) fried or grilled crisp, stewed fresh sweet tomatoes and wholemeal doorsteps, thickly buttered. It is what they have for breakfast in heaven.

2 Likes