Poultry report

It appears we now have a heron-in-residence:

4 Likes

Herons eat cute little fluffy ducklings. They do it tactlessly, in front of someone feeding the ducks… (Not me; I arrived on the tow-path to the hysterics but not the Fell Deed.)

4 Likes

We’ve been watching out for that; both Sammy and Tig are now too big to be at risk. Herons will also take mice and rats, which we’re quite happy to encourage

4 Likes

Oh and talking of young Tig:

4 Likes

A heron would definitely think twice!

5 Likes

TBH I’m not sure they’re equipped to think even once

4 Likes

Oh, gorgeous.

Rather a fine Baz, too

4 Likes

Gawds - I have been more neglectful than That Josh and, had that poultry been mine it wad be deid.
I have booked accommodation, for February, so that a visit to Peebles Poultry Show will be possible. Really looking forward to it!
I lurve young Tig.
Soo xx

5 Likes

Trouble is I suspect he’s the culprit behind a spate of broken eggs—the way he’s lurking outside the coop is certainly suggestive. I’ve not seen an egg—or the remains—in the main coop for a while, which leads me to think the girls are laying out somewhere. Something Will Have To Be Done…

4 Likes

This fills me with foreboding, joe…
Soo xx

4 Likes

Fear not—I’m not talking about anything drastic, just making the chooks and their eggs more secure. Will probably have to build on runs so that they can scratch around in safety. There’s always a risk from predators when they free-range.

4 Likes

Phew!
Soo xx

4 Likes

Any chook news, joe?
Soo xx

4 Likes

Remiss of me, I admit, but I’ve been rather busy…

Generally all quiet. Quiet is good; when things get noisy it usually means trouble. All wet and miserable out there at the moment; will get a few pics if it brightens up.

6 Likes

Yes - you’ve had a very busy time ovvit, joe. I can wait for pics :grinning:

Oops - I have been reminded to let others join in the conversation.

Soo xx

5 Likes

And it’s taken until now for me to do so!

Time for a quick “That was then…This is now” session, methinks.

25 August Bella & Tiger Lily (aka Tig)

Tigs today:

I’m sure you remember Sam, pictured here with proud mammy Millie on 8 August:

And now meet Miss Sammy Hannah* (a single name just didn’t do her justice):

Jules, who you’ll recall we nearly lost after a dog attack, has a very distinctive crown - more of a tiara, really:

IMG_6770
We were delighted when she started laying again, because it meant she was recovering from the ordeal. We now have an inkling that the recovery might have been quicker than we knew. Take a close look at Tig…

And the reason for this sudden burst of news on the chooks’ progress? Simple—Soo decided we weren’t paying them enough attention:

*And no, the person who named her has no idea of the TA connections!

7 Likes

Do you ever get the feeling that their sights are set on world domination, or at least huddling round the stove in the kitchen?

6 Likes

Both—they’d be quite happy to huddle round the stove, plotting…

6 Likes

Thank you so much for taking a peek at those chooks, joe. You have made me smile inna loud fashion!
Soo xx

7 Likes

Harassment, that’s what it is…

6 Likes