Recipes

Prolly yer browser, Joe.

4 Likes

But that is set to “British English”—and I haven’t noticed any problem elsewhere. It seems to be only this site, which does tend to be a bit schoolmarmish: “You’re topic is similar to…”, “Don’t reply to yourself” (OWTTE)

3 Likes

I get that too, and very often there is no similarity whatever between what I have written and what it thinks that is like; in one notable instance not a single word was the same, as well as it being on a different subject and making a different point completely.

2 Likes

Warburtons have published their crumpet recipe.

https://www.warburtons.co.uk/news/article/crumpet-recipe-revealed

5 Likes

Dadrat it, no biscuit-cutters… I don’t think the octopus would work.

5 Likes

Pint glass,or old mug, Fishy ?

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Ooh - now they look good! That’s seriously high hydration dough, incidentally - small wonder you need a mould.

Don’t think we have any metal cutters either - might try improvising with a sawn-off tin…

5 Likes

Problem there is that this isn’t just to cut the shape; it needs to withstand the heat of cooking (the “dough” will be liquid - more like a batter). Certainly wouldn’t want to try that with glass…

5 Likes

Sawn-off tin sounds possible: as a concept, anyway, though it would need to be absolutely flat for it to work. Hmmmm…

4 Likes

Not if the heat is high enough - the first bit of batter will set as soon as it hits the pan, creating a seal*. The mould is to keep the rest from spreading out.

*For which reason, keep it well greased!

5 Likes

Have just had a look at a friend’s FaceAche page, as he made some the other day.

He used a 4" springform pie mould from B&M Bargains costing ÂŁ1-50

His hob is ceramic,& he thinks that there would be better results with gas

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

I don’t think I understand: how do you pour the batter/dough into the pie-mould? I mean, doesn’t it have to be a tube for it to work?

5 Likes

It’s like a springform cake tin with a loose bottom,Fishy

I have just had a look again, & he tried with an upturned biscuit cutter first, but it made them too deep

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Aye, right. Blood and crumpets.

5 Likes

Carinthia forwards:

5 Likes

Thank-you Dunnock

Friend said that they were very good,& he will make them again

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

They look gorgeous!

Think I might try a certain river for metal pastry cutters…

5 Likes

I have tried to transfer the photies of what he actually used, but I haven’t got there yet, Joe

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

5 Likes

Apparently the 4" springform cake tin with the clip clipped up & the bottom taken out was the most successful,Joe

I’m waiting for that photie to crawl through the Ether…

That There Birdie is very patient with me… :bird: :beer:

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes